Better Place Part Three

I couldn't believe she would do this turn her back on me and leave me to deal with her boyfriend alone. I thought maybe over the last few weeks she had changed as she said, but as she's proven she's still the same woman that abandoned me all those years ago. But I had more pressing problems to worry about right now like how I'm going to escape Travis.

"Look at that, she's still all mine," Travis laughed, watching my Mom leave the room. This made me angry like white-hot angry because I knew what he was saying was true.

But I saw this might be my opportunity while Travis was distracted laughing at my depressing realization. While he looked over his shoulder, I gave him a swift kick to the groin, causing him to bend over in pain and release his grip on my neck. I fell to the floor out of breath in pain, not just on my neck but in my heart. My right leg fell awkwardly, causing a sharp pain to crawl up.

Meanwhile, Travis was practically in the fetal position due to where I kicked him. Once I regained my breath, I noticed Travis was starting to get up, so I gave him one more kick to the ribs putting him down again.

Once I was confident Travis was down for good, I quickly grabbed my jacket and left the apartment, knowing I needed to get as far away as possible.

I'm not sure how far I ran, but I didn't stop until I was far, far away. When I finally ran out of breath, I sat down up against an alley's wall.

I thought my Mom had changed. I thought that maybe she was ready to take responsibility and be there for me, allowing my dream to be a dream no longer. But I was wrong.

She hadn't changed at all. Instead, she played along for a few weeks to get me to trust her and move in with her. I can't believe I was so stupid once again. She chose her boyfriend over her son.

I sat there for at least an hour before I finally ran out of tears and knew I needed to get home before Rosa and Victor became worried.

I pulled myself up and limped my way home many people gave me odd looks, but the worst of all was Rosa's.

"Oh, my god billy?" Rosa said as I limped up the driveway. "Are you hurt?"

I was, but I couldn't say that. "I'm fine."

"No, you're not don't lie to me. Come on inside, let me look at you." Rosa began guiding me inside when Victor appeared at the doorway. He looked worried and started coming down to help when Rosa stopped him.

"I've got em get the first aid kit, please!"

Rosa sat me on the couch in the living room, helping me take off my jacket and get me comfortable. She asked where I was hurt, and I answered, telling her it was my neck, ribs, and my foot. Then she asked the question I was dreading, "Who did this?"

I looked down as she opened the first-aid kit messing with my bracelet. Rosa noticed and put a comforting hand on my knee, "It's okay, Billy, you can tell us."

"I know it's just hard for me to say out loud," I said on the verge of tears.

"Take your time," Victor said, sitting next to Rosa on the coffee table.

I took a deep breath as the tears escaped me, "It was my Mom. My Mom's boyfriend, actually."

Victor and Rosa looked at each in surprise before they turned to me sympathetically.

"I'm sorry, Billy. Do you want to talk about it?" Rosa asked.

I didn't, but last time when I was sick, I kept my mouth shut, and things only got worse. Freddie told me to trust Rosa and Victor, so I am.