Chapter 5

Shawn and I turned a corner.

"Guys, what's this?" I shouted. It was dark so I couldn't see.

"That looks like a abandoned mine tunnel to me." Trevor said

"The old blowgest mine, it shut down 60 years ago after the big disaster." Hannah explained.

"How big?" Shawn asked.

"81 dead."

"That's pretty big," I said.

"Hey Madi, was there a mine like this in the book?" Shawn asked.

"Uh no I don't think so."

"Shawn?" I asked

"Yeah." He turned around to me.

"Do you think we'll get out?" I asked, he smiled.

"Well, with the combination of our brains put together, probably." I smiled at him, and I hugged him.

"I'm just scared," He hugged me back.

"Hey we will get out, I'll promise you that," He said, pulling away from the hug, I smiled and so did he.

"Hannah?" I asked, "What's that?"

"This is the old generator for the mine."

"Hey you don't wanna touch that, there might be some serious generation involved! Hey that thing could blow any minute!"

"Serious generator." Hannah flipped a large lever and the lights came on.

"Okay I take it back!"

"This is it right I mean the miners they had to get there stuff out somewhere right?" I asked.

"Quick question, should me and Madi go in the same cart because there's only to and there's gonna be a thing to push the carts back there and me and Madi can fit in one?"

"Hey Hannah how many people got out?" Trevor asked.

"Um 1."

"That's a start we call front!" Shawn said, he grabbed my hand and jumped into the cart. I blushed a little.

"What? No no no! We don't know if these things work, the tracks might not be safe."

"Track ahead looks good, get it!" We started to move. Shawn stood up.

"Hey Shawn doesn't look safe, I wouldn't do that!" I said.

"I think I see something!" He shouted.

"Please tell me it's daylight otherwise I don't wanna know!" Trevor shouted.

"Uh no it's not daylight so not worthy of interest," Shawn said and sat back down. He grabbed the sides really tight.  We started to go down.

"How come they didn't put seatbelts on this thing!" Shawn shouted.

"YOURE WORRIED ABOUT SEATBELTS!" Trevor shouted.

We were coming up to a gap in the track.

"Hannah!"

"I know!"

"PULL THE BREAK, PULL THE BREAK!"

"No don't! We won't make it!" Hannah shouted. We got to the hole. The carts connected again. We got to the edge. Shawn's hand reached for mine. I closed my eyes, waited and waited and... we hit the track.

"YEAH!" Shawn shouted. All our carts separated onto different tracks.

"Guys!" I shouted.

"Stay put guys!" Trevor said.