4

4.

It was the 23 of June and Arthur found himself in Valentine buying some sweets for a special little girl. He had told himself that he wasn't going to go see Blue because he felt it would only hurt them both but Hosea had eventually convinced him that she would be happy he remembered her birthday.

He had no idea what she liked so he took a little bit of everything just to be safe, originally he had wanted to get her something more 'permanent' but what did a 7 year old girl want? Ribbons for her hair? Books? Could she even read? In the end sweets were probably the safest bet for any child.

Arriving at the orphanage Arthur noted the group of children dropping things into an old well at the corner of the property but not seeing any blond locks of hair amongst them he moved on to the house.

Mrs. Green was sitting on the porch knitting. As he got closer to her she didn't even bother to give him more than a glance.

"Why are you back here Mr.?" she sounded bored, like she couldn't care less that he came armed to her doorstep.

"I'm here to see Blue for her birthday" he stated

"Her birthday? Huh! Well she's over there with the others" the woman raised her eyebrow for a second before turning her full attention back to the knitting.¨

"No she aint!" he looked back over to the kids, she wasn't there!

"Yes she is, go look, I believe they're playing 'freak's in the well'" He saw one of the kids picking up a big stone, chucking it down the hole, what was the freak in the well?

It felt as if the world slowed down for a moment as he realized what the woman meant. There wasn't a 'what' in the well, there was a 'who'. Blue was there but she wasn't with the other children throwing things, she was being thrown AT. It took only a matter of seconds for him reach the well, the kids scattered at the sight of the grown man running towards them cursing at them to get away.

Looking down he saw her blond curls floating in the water, her shoulders just barely above the surface.

"Blue! BLUE!" at first she didn't react but slowly slowly she turned her face upwards, those peculiar eyes staring back at him.

"Blue are you okay?!" it was a stupid question, of course she wasn't okay! And the fact that she could barely keep her eyes open scared him half to death.

"You just stay calm princess and I'll get you out of there! Okay?!" she gave no indication of understanding but lowered her head back down again, leaning against the walls around her. Running back to his horse Arthur grabbed his lasso and started feeding it down the well.

"Put the loop under your arms kid!" she slowly did as she was told "just like that now hold on tight, I'm going to pull you up!" and so he did. It felt like it took forever but eventually her head appeared over the edge and he could pull her up by her arms.

Her face and hands were badly bruised and her blue, trembling lips were split in several places.

"Jesus Christ kid! What did they do to you?" His voice was nothing but a whisper as he hurriedly lifted her up bridal style carrying her towards his horse.

"And what do you think you're doing Mr.?! That child belongs to me and you have no right to take her! I'll send the sheriff after you if you don't put her back down this instant!" That old woman was running after him, shotgun in hand.

"Don't you pretend you care for her woman!" Arthur roared back, pulling his own gun out after placing Blue securely on his horse.

"This isn't about caring! You have to pay a fee to take that child!" Arthur saw red.