Chapter 5

As the sun is rising again at 6 am, Lena is sitting at her big window, on the east of her apartment, with a hot mug of coffee, watching through the thick layers of glass, as the colours change from black to orange and pink. She takes a deep breath and lets out a sigh to release stress and tension. A smile creeps up on her face as the thought of going to school and seeing her friends excites her.

Lena never liked school. Not with all the bullying and teasing and easy work. Lena loves challenges, that's why she always pushes herself to do more than what she thinks she can. It's also why she is determined to break Kara and her attitude towards other people.

She patters on into the kitchen and refills her coffee cup. She fills her lungs with the smell of coffee and walks into her room, setting the mug down on her desk. She pulls off her pyjama top and tugs on a t-shirt with a biology joke: Never trust an atom...they make-up everything, and a pair of jeans. She thinks a more casual look will do after seeing all the other teachers yesterday.

Kara fills Lena's thoughts. She thinks about how the teenage girl is feeling and how she is acting. Then she remembers that she hasn't checked her phone at all and Kara may have messaged her. She scrambles around her desk and when she finally finds her phone she held it up in the air and let out a sound of triumph. She unlocks it with her finger and a text pops up on her screen. It's from the number +35054011977 and it reads: Hi Miss Luthor, it's  Kara, I'm just letting you know that I'm feeling a lot better see you in school tomorrow, thanks for everything. A smile creeps up on her face. She checks what time the text was sent and it was sent at 2:15 pm yesterday. She slightly scolds herself for not checking her phone yesterday. She brushes it off quickly though and fills her mind with the roomers of possibilities of new mineral discoveries in Antarctica.

By 7:45am she's out of the house taking the lift down into the garage to get into her deep red third-generation MINI (F55/F56). She listens to the radio, bobbing her head to the music, as she drives to school with no traffic or worries stopping for yet another coffee at a small cafe.

**********

"Kara, get up, Miss Luthor said one day off, not two. You need to school. We didn't do much work yesterday at all, which means today is the start of the course, and I will not be explaining everything to you again 'cause you couldn't be bothered to go to school." Alex whined as she shakes Kara awake at eight in the morning.

"But my face is bruised." Kara groans as she flails her arms and legs throwing a small tantrum.

"What about it Kara? You've hidden bruises before." Kara groans at Alex and sits up in bed. "Kara, we have to be ready in thirty minutes, and you know what mum's like, we can't leave till everything's tidy. So, whilst I'm showering tidy up your area of the room and get your stuff ready. If I'm ready before you I'm leaving without you." Alex warns. Again, Kara moans and drags herself out of bed and to the other side of the room to pick out her clothes.

She pulls out multiple jeans, all black or dark blue. Some with rips; some without. Some that need belts; some that don't. Then she pulls out an assortment of different tops with a range of colours.

By the time she's picked her favourite black ripped jeans and plain red crop-top, Alex is done with her shower. Kara rushes to make her bed and thanks to her super-speed her 'area' is clear within thirty-seconds. She just about makes it before Alex comes pacing into the room.

"Kara, shower, now. We have twenty minutes and we need to do your makeup so hurry." Alex babbles as she hurries Kara out of the room. Kara sighs and lugs herself to the end of the hall and into the bathroom. She quickly showers enjoying the feeling of the cool waters trickling down her back.

She fingers the bruise forming on her face, she asks herself why she has heat vision and super-speed and flying abilities when she doesn't have the super-strength like her cousin, Clark. She has all the Kryptonian abilities: X-ray vision, super-speed, heat vision, super-breath, super-hearing...except super-strength...the one she needs most.