1

Ever since I was a young girl I had a fascination with Vampires. I spent years of my time and hundreds of my dollars into any and every kind of research I could find on any website or book I could get my eager hands on.
No one I knew had ever seen one but there are plenty of blogs full of stories of people who believed they had an encounter with one and growing up it became more and more of a general topic. 

It was everyone's favorite debate and favorite Halloween costume. There were the people who believed, those who didn't, and those who didn't care. I was one of those who believed. Ever since that day, that incident, I believed. Although I don't remember much from that many years ago, the little I do remember nothing else could explain it.

But that was then and this is now and at this moment all my suspicions...
We're true.

I stood frozen in fear and used the little control I had over my body to press it against the nearby cold brick walls and one of my hands over my nose and mouth.

"Please, s-stop.." the middle-aged women gurgled as her voice faded.
Shortly after I heard her body slump against him.

They exist.

And here was one of them, sucking the life out of someone.

I spent years pondering what I'd do if I were ever attacked by one, or ever came across one but no amount of daydreaming could prepare me for the desperate screams and attempts for escape and the chilling sounds of her bones breaking as he clenched her body closer to his, literally squeezing every ounce of blood from her.

From my years of sleepless nights of research, if what I read was true.. then he had the hearing of a bat, the sight of a hawk, the strength 5x's that of a human, and the speed of a cheetah.

I couldn't run, and I certainly couldn't hide.

Just by the proximity I knew he could probably hear my pounding hearting, and blood rushing through my veins. He probably was just too engulfed in her to notice —

Her body hits the ground— hard. Almost as if he tossed her, not that she fell.

I squeeze my eyes closed as I send a small prayer up to God for anyone, and anything to help me get home safely to my dad, I was all he had.

Also, I didn't want to die. Especially not the way she just did.

He lets out a satisfied sigh, the one you make after a filling meal.

"That was great." He puffs out as his footsteps stumble in my direction.

My face heats up as tears well in my eyes as I scramble for any bright idea to save me from what seems to be my inevitable fate.
If I move, he will hear me and he will kill me.
That means I can't call anyone.
If I run, he will catch up to me and kill me.
If I scream, someone may hear but i'll be dead by the time they look through their blinds. I'll be a part of the string of, now not so mysterious, mysterious recent disappearances.

The steps are purposefully slow as if he was trying to be suspenseful on purpose.

His hand smacks onto the corner of the wall I was pressed against, the brick cracking under his fingers.

"H-" before he could even get a word out something tackles him, the impact so fast and hard they are knocked back at least 10 feet.

I gasp finally breathing and lean forward, also finally moving, peering around the corner to look to see what that was.

Brown long hair pooled on the ground around the woman, as she laid there lifelessly facedown, but not a drop of blood was on the ground.'

Blonde hair, blood red eyes, and bloody shark-like teeth. The face of the man who just killed that woman. I could see even from here that each tooth was so sharp I wasn't sure how he kept from impaling himself with those.

Brown Spiked hair on the one who just tackled him.

Another one.

"Stop this, Kassius." The vampire that just appeared says, making it obvious they're acquainted.

He saved me.

I quickly realize.

Instead of sticking around to see what probably would be an extraordinary sight, I hightail it out of there but as soon as I turn around in the opposite direction to run I smack into what feels like a wall after a few steps.
Before I can fall to the ground cool arms wrap around me, with a gentle strength.
I snap my head back to meet eyes with emotionless glowing yellow eyes pouring down into mines.

Another one.

A mixture of emotions run through my body, but surprisingly fear isn't the most prominent one.

Knowing that I was just saved I feel safe enough to relax, the look in his eyes giving me a sense that he was going to help me.

"Thank you so much," I say choke out in a small voice.

His hair was black, like mine, and fell just short of his eyes but he has a slight side part.

His face looked very soft and youthful, I'd say not a day over 25.

He seemed taken aback for a small moment but quickly replies.

"Your welcome." In a whisper.

"You're not going to kill me for knowing what you are, are you?" I ask, knowing that this isn't something you would let just any person know.

The way that everyone has been suspicious for the past couple of years the government would certainly keep it under wraps so they could do some experiments of their own.

"Then what would be the point of saving you?" He replies with a small smile that says 'of-course-not'.

"However, I still can't have you knowing. I apologize in advance for what I'm about to do." He says tone that gives me a 'sorry-not-sorry' vibe.

"Wha-" I start just he slips his hand up my back and softly grabs a handful of my hair and whips my head back surprisingly painlessly but uncomfortable, fully exposing my bare neck.

I hear a soft click and watch as his fangs flick out almost magically.

They were long and sharper than anything I'd ever seen at the tip.

He inhales and moans softly.

"Wait, no, s-stop-" I start trying to push myself out of his grip before he quickly sinks his teeth into my neck. It felt like two thick needles pricking my skin.

I clutch his shoulders and struggle weakly as I slip away from consciousness.