4

There is only room for two people in my heart. My dad and Marce. Marce and I only have been friends since high school but within the few years that I've known her there's no one that makes me laugh so much and I feel can truly connect with me. We can talk hours about almost anything. She doesn't understand me completely and I don't understand her completely but I feel like the still tries too when other people just give up.

If my heart had room for a third, the third person would be Derek Blake. We also met in high school, and I guess he would also be considered and ex because we dated briefly but I consider him more as a good friend than just an ex. One day in ninth grade year I took one look at him, and felt things I'd never felt for anyone before. No conversation, no small talk, I just met eyes with him and have been unable to really get him out of my mind since.
He had beautiful tan brown skin with chocolatey eyes to complement. He was also 6'3 and around 210 pounds of so many of my favorite things.

"Are you busy tonight?" Derek says in a husky low but cheerful voice. He stood and gathered his very thick and difficult looking books into his bag.

" Not really, I'll be at the bookstore until 7pm but after that I'm free." I say gathering my things.

"There's this cool place I found, I wanted to maybe check it out again with you. I feel like it would be your kind of thing.. you know?"

"My kind of thing..?" I stand also, a curious smile tugging at my lips.

"I just thought you'd like it, you'll see when we get there." He gives a short laugh.

"Ok then, sure. Sounds cool." I say, trying to keep my cool.

"Dope. I'll pick you up at 8:30." He flashes a dreamy smile and walks away backward.

I give a shy smile, biting my bottom lip as I wave him goodbye.

He was aloof at first glance but still fun to be around and the few times he did speak it was always positive, supportive, or funny. He also never made a single broken promise and he never lied, directly at least, I loved those things about him. However I never understood him, and he never really understood me.

We broke up in high school because things just didn't feel right. I felt like he was the right guy but it was just the wrong time. He didn't want me as much as I wanted him, so we decided to just go back to being friends. However, I still had strong feelings for him throughout the years and the fact that we ended up going to the same college sealed the nail in the coffin for me.
We still dated other people through the years but I feel like we both always thought back to each other.

"Maybe it's finally the right time for us." I told Marce through the phone.

"What makes you think that?" She replies.

"Well, it's been almost 3 years since highschool. I feel like we're more mature and have more experience with dating now, and we could really make this work between us..." I trail off as I see Dax walking into the bookstore.

"I'll call you back." I say hanging up.

The bookstore was always super quiet so I spent the majority of my shift studying, or on the phone.

I was puzzled to see him walking straight towards my desk.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry--.. are there cameras in here?" He starts.

If he were any other person asking that question I would be pressing the silent alarm under the desk, but knowing who he is I say...

"Yes, but there's no audio. So you can say whatever.." I say quietly.