Chapter 5: To Meddle or Not to Meddle

Serena knew Dan had told her not to meddle. Not that she was one to meddle, anyway-- but, oh, who was she kidding? Finally settling a debate she'd been having for herself, she swung by the boardroom Ella told her she'd been working in instead of heading directly for her husband's office.

     It was Friday but the atmosphere was anything but casual when Serena walked in. The room was a bustle of activity, drafts being brought in and out in stacks. Ella currently stood in the center of all of it, hands on her hips, looking at format comparisons the web designers had brought for the editors' consideration.

     "Hey there, Miss Power Pose," Serena greeted her as she approached. Looking up, the deep furrow that had formed between Ella's brows vanished immediately.

     "It gives me a false sense of authority," Ella laughed, hands falling to her sides. "Here for Dan's daily delivery?"

     "You know it... and I'm also here to extend a cordial invitation," The blonde smiled congenially.

     "Oh? What's the occasion?" Ella asked, keeping her tone casual. Somewhere, she could feel her past 16 year old self dying of happiness. An invitation? From Serena Van der Woodsen? She could invite her to a dumpster diving party and she'd be there.

     "Well, our friend Blair is having a little dinner party and I just figured..." Serena trailed off. Dan was going to kill her, but this wasn't really meddling, was it? Ella was a new friend, it was totally normal to invite her out. The fact that Nate would be there was just an added bonus...

     "Blair?" Ella asked, eyes wide.

     "Blair Waldorf-Bass, yeah," Serena clarified. Ella didn't bother correcting Serena, but of course she knew who Blair Waldorf-Bass was! Most of her special occasion dresses were from her line at Bendel's. No, her question had been more an expression of disbelief. This definitely wouldn't be a dumpster diving party...

     "Uh... when?"

     "Tonight, 8 o' clock. See you there?" Serena wheedled, poking Ella in the side. For some reason the young woman looked hesitant.

     "I...Uh, I have to check a couple of things first, but I'll let Dan know before I leave today," Ella replied.

     "Alright, fine. But I hope you can make it, Blair really knows how to throw a party!" Serena said as she exited the board room.

     Ella sighed as soon as she left. She really wanted to go... but what the hell would she wear?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     "You invited who to my soirée?" Blair asked. Serena followed along as she walked up and down the length of the elegant formal dining room table where dinner would be held, clipboard in hand.

     "Ella, Dan's junior editor at the Spectator?" Serena offered to jog her memory.

     "...Uh, have you ever mentioned her before, because I have no idea who that is..."

     "Well, I really only met her this week, but she's great, B. You'll love her!"

     "Hm," was Blair's dry reply. "I spent a week slaving over this seating arrangement, Serena, and now you come to tell me you've invited this random person at the last minute? Where will I put her?"

     "Uh, I don't know, anywhere? This table is huge!"

     Blair looked shocked at Serena's flippancy.

     "Anywhere, she says. This is a Waldorf-Bass dinner party, not an all you can eat buffet."

     "Look B, I just want to invite one teensy weensy extra person. She's already friends with Dan and Nate so you don't have to worry too hard about seating her, just put her near us."

     "So near me, you're saying. Great. I really do hope she's actually as charming as you say...she works for the Spectator?"

     "Mmhm, she's been working there for half a year now, a junior editor."

     "A junior editor? After six months? She's either very talented or... very talented." Blair raised her eyebrows suggestively.

     "She's the first one, I think?" Serena answered cautiously.

     "Ah, so who did she blow?" Blair inquired.

     "I take it back, it's the second," Serena laughed. "She's a really great writer, very funny."

     "So you want me to invite her into my home because of her talent."

     "Yeah, Blair. She's a young NYU alum on the rise in a creative field, a little like someone else we know..." Serena said in her most convincing voice. Blair rolled her eyes. Serena sighed. "B, I think Nate likes this girl, but Dan doesn't agree because he says I haven't seen them together and then we kind of made a bet with each other... Anyway, I want to prove him wrong. See? This is about proving Dan wrong. You can get on board with that, can't you?"

     "Isn't she Nate's employee?" Blair asked, but her expression had changed from one of dry dismissal to one of piqued curiosity.

     "That's besides the point," Serena muttered. "Look, weren't you the one saying you were worried about Nate's dating life?"

     "Well, the man hasn't had a serious relationship in years, Serena. He hasn't even been casually dating, just picking up whatever random whores have decided to throw themselves his way..." Blair tsked, her disapproval evident on every line of her face. "However, I don't think setting him up with his secretary is a good way to break the cycle!"

     "She isn't his secretary!" Serena exclaimed exasperatedly. "And we aren't setting them up... I just want to prove a point then there will be no more meddling from me, I swear."

     Blair looked her best friend in the eyes, appraising the overly innocent expression on her face.

     "Fine..." She agreed slowly. "But I'm only doing this because it's been forever since we had a good scheme!"