Chapter 28: Long Live the Queen

During the next two weeks, Nate might have been occupying himself being furious with her for leaving, but Ella was busy planning her future. She only had two weeks to execute her plan and she had to make decisions.

     "I can't go to Thompson," Ella sighed. "It just doesn't feel right."

     "Where will you go then?" Serena offered her a macaroon. They were hanging out in bed watching Impractical Jokers.

     "I don't think I'm going to go back into journalism," She looked off pensively, taking a bite of the cookie. "I only did that in college because I didn't want to be a teacher and they always make it seem like those are your only two options as an English major. But publishing... I'd have to start at the bottom, but it's kind of what I always wanted to do. Can you imagine a job where I just get to sit and edit stories all day, not just petty little gossip columns? Heaven! And now I have a fat portfolio of work and experience... I shouldn't do too badly applying for jobs."

     Serena looked over at her. "So, there's no way you're staying at the Spectator?"

     "Absolutely not," She shook her head. Serena smiled and put her arms around her in a tight hug.

    "I'm so proud of you. I wish you would have told me while this was happening, but..." She shrugged. Ella snorted.

     "I'm sure you can understand my secrecy," She said. She then sighed. "I feel good about this, don't get me wrong, but I think Nate's going to hate me forever."

      "He's not going to hate you forever. He doesn't even hate you now, he's just... brooding. He does this when he knows he's being a child about something." Serena dismissed Ella's claims with a shake of her hair. Ella snorted, not believing the blonde for even a second. She was just trying to make her feel better. She took a deep breath.

      "Okay, so I'm about to ask you for something." She said suddenly. Serena turned with a little quirk of her eyebrow.

     "Okay? You want water or...?"

     "No, I want a meeting with Blair Waldorf," Ella rushed it out. "She kind of emailed me for a job in January modeling her summer collection. It was all very hush hush, she didn't even want me to tell Nate... But I said no and now I've gotten to thinking that maybe I should do it so I can keep sending money to my parents while I wait for replies from the publishing houses."

      "You want me to set up a meeting with Blair?" She looked surprised. "How do you make even the most innocent things sound like you're asking me to kill someone?"

     Ella pursed her lips. "I'm assuming that's a yes. And I don't get why no one understands how I wouldn't want to take advantage of my friendships..."

      Serena rolled her eyes. "I'll give her a call and set up a date."

———————————

      Ella dressed her best for the meeting with Blair. It might just be a modeling gig, but she took Mrs. Waldorf-Bass's time very seriously. Black leather trousers, white button up and a black sweater under a structured gray coat. A little androgynous. A little sexy. Professional enough to be taken seriously, stylish enough to be inoffensive to Blair.

     Blair herself sat in a lilac pantsuit with a mauve satin blouse. Her heels were bright yellow. Somehow... all of this worked. Ella was astounded by how totally unafraid of color the woman was.

     "Hi, Blair. Thanks for agreeing to see me," She extended a hand. The business woman shook it and Ella sat down.

     "So. You've reconsidered my offer," Blair folded her hands. "What makes you think we still need you?"