Chapter 25: Breakfast at Humphrey's

When Ella woke up, there seemed to be people in the room with her. When she blinked a few times, she saw Dan and two women standing over her. Dan looked horrified for some reason, but the two women, a skinny blonde with big beautiful eyes and a darker skinned woman with lusciously coily hair, looked highly amused at the tableau they'd walked in on.

     Ella sat up, wiping her mouth.

     "Where am I?" She asked hoarsely. "What time is it?"

     "You're in my living room. And it's nine," Dan informed her, crossing his arms. "What have you done to my wife?"

     She frowned in confusion and looked over to where he was staring. Serena was fast asleep on the other end of the couch.

     "We may have been drinking last night..." She admitted.

     "You don't say," The curly-haired woman chuckled.

     "Yeah, you guys look wrecked-- did we miss out on a slumber party?" The blonde laughed. Ella swallowed to wet her throat.

     "The slumber party was not intentional, believe me..." She trailed off, pushing Serena's shoulder. She was trying to be gentle but the blonde woke up immediately.

     "Huh? What's happening?" She sat up like she'd been electrocuted. She peered at their audience. "Jenny? Vanessa?"

     The women waved.

     "Shit, it's Saturday!" She turned to Ella, rubbing at her eyes. "We fell asleep!"

     "Yeah, I know..." Ella sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. She had such a headache. And her stomach was so empty it felt like it was trying to eat itself. "Fuck, I'm hungry."

     Jenny grinned. "Sounds like the perfect time to get started on those pancakes, big bro. Help you in the kitchen?"

     "You want me to feed the person who inebriated my wife, J?" Dan exclaimed, already following her to the fridge.

     "This person would really appreciate it!" Ella called after him. She looked over at the woman who was now settling into the chair across from them. "So, you're Vanessa?"

     "Last time I checked," She chuckled. "And you must be... hungover?"

     Ella looked at her in shock.

     "How do you know my name?" She asked wide-eyed. Vanessa laughed-- ah, off to a good start with the nice strangers-- and Ella broke the serious expression. "I'm Ella. I work with Dan... and hang out with Serena on occasion."

     "You're friends with Serena," Serena corrected. "Don't make our relationship seem more casual than it is. I'm going to go brush my teeth, if you'd like to join me, El."

     She gave Ella a pointed look, opening her blue eyes wide open and gesturing towards her bedroom. Ella frowned.

     "Okay...?" She stood to follow her, wondering at her strange behavior. "We'll be right back, Vanessa--."

     There came a sudden knock on the door. Vanessa stood up.

     "Got it!" She yelled. She threw the door open. "Archibald! You're just in time for some pancakes!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     When Nate had come over to the Humphrey's for Saturday morning pancakes, he hadn't expected to see literally everyone he'd ever slept with all crammed into their living room.