Chapter 20: New Years by the Beach

Maybe it was because he was drunk and high, but watching Ella dance was turning out to be quite the experience. Serena and Dan were right there with them so the four of them were dancing in a loose semblance of a circle. The press of people on all sides soon rendered that impossible, though and the married couple moved closer to each other, leaving Nate and Ella shuffled off to the side together.

     The space was illuminated only by multicolored lights flashing to the beat. Ella came in and out of his sight in pulses. Her hips kept moving in that way he found so impossible, the satin of her dress pulling across her breasts and hips— god, she was going to kill him. Her eyes were shut most of the time, like she was lost in the music, but then they flickered open. He was caught, eyes unmistakably lingering on her chest.

     He tried to play it off, looking away into the crowd, but she'd seen. She'd felt his eyes on her and now he felt hers on him. She moved closer and he snuck a glance at her. She was looking down at their feet, her hands reaching for his chest. Casual, so casual, and he figured this was a normal transition. Dan and Serena were busy, of course they would dance together. Her hands were warm through his shirt and she was so much closer now. She looked up at him, hands sliding up his shoulders. He could smell her perfume from this distance, and his hands moved of their own accord, settling on a gentlemanly spot on the small of her back—

     "Good evening everyone!" A woman's voice broke through the music, which faded down to a quiet hum. "We will be starting our New Year's Countdown in a matter of moments. VIP members, this is your chance to go back to your table and enjoy a complimentary bottle of champagne!"

     They moved away from each other like they were waking up from a dream, breathing heavily.

     "Come on," She said quickly, grabbing his hand. "Let's go back to the table."

     She held it as they wove through the crowd, letting go when they got do their booth in the VIP section. Dan and Serena were already there. They sat inches apart from each other while Serena  distributed flutes of champagne to toast.

     Dan raised his glass. "Ahem, ahem. I have something I would like to say."

     Amidst laughter, he stood.

     "Everyone here right now is like family to me. Except for Serena. Who is literally my family," Dan paused for a laugh from his audience. He was faced with a general rolling of eyes.

     "And this is why we don't let you do speeches..." Ella muttered. Dan turned to her.

     "Listen, you little upstart," He began with a grin. "I know I was hesitant at first, but Nate made the right decision hiring you."

     "Gee, thanks!"

     Dan continued unhurriedly. "And Nate, I'd recite O' captain, my captain if we had the time, but suffice to say-- you've made the Spectator the success it is."

     Nate smiled and shook his head.

     "I couldn't have done it without my team."

     Tension aside, Ella couldn't help but smile at him. Always so humble.

     "You know what?" Serena suddenly exclaimed, pulling out her phone. She tapped into Facetime.

     "Who are you calling?" Ella asked, peering over her shoulder.

     "Who do you think?" She replied. The line began to ring until the faces of Blair and Chuck appeared. They looked fabulous.

     "S! I was just about to call you!" Blair laughed, peering at the group of people waving back at her.