Chapter 9: The Fine Art of Gossip

As their deadline for the app loomed nearer, Ella and Nate hardly spoke to each other. They were too busy, they told themselves, and they couldn't afford restarting the rumor mill. Ella thought it would have started churning out more venom after the Waldorf-Bass dinner party, but things had actually been pretty calm. Then again, Serena seemed to have decided they were new best friends and was showing up at the office more and more often to see her, justifying the invitation. If Ella was her new best friend, however, Serena didn't neglect her oldest friend.

     "So... Blair's party turned out to be pretty fun, didn't it?" She asked the Tuesday after the soiree, having popped in unexpectedly while Dan was out bossing someone around.

     "It was nice, actually. I still can't believe she sat me in front of Max Thompson, though," Nate laughed, drafting an email while they talked.

     "You know how much Blair loves drama... Ella did pretty well, didn't she?" Serena asked casually.

     "Max definitely got a heaping dose of that Vazquez charm, that's for sure," Nate agreed.

     "Oh, Thompson is definitely coming after your girl at some point, but that's not what I meant. She fit right in with all those stuffy Upper East Siders," Serena continued.

     "Well, I made sure she was never really by herself just in case, but she can definitely hold her own," Nate kept his eyes on the computer screen, suddenly fascinated by the billing report he was requesting.

     "And that dress! Just perfect, it got Blair hook, line and sinker."

     "It was a nice dress."

     "And she looked... just, wow. You ended up taking her home, didn't you?" Serena idly scrolled on her phone. Nate looked up immediately.

     "I dropped her off at her place, yeah..." These were a lot of pointed questions, even for Serena. "You seem pretty interested in Ella, you sure Dan doesn't have competition?"

     Serena laughed. "I've only ever toed the line, I have no intention of a full cross over. I was just curious, the two of you seem like you get along so well."

     "We do, she's a nice girl. Even better employee," Nate replied pointedly.

     "Right... but what if she wasn't your employee?"

     Nate finally stopped what he was doing all together and steepled his hands with an exasperated sigh.

     "Serena..."

     "Nate, I like her for you! There, I said it."

     "Since when do you play matchmaker for me? And don't you think you've picked the worst possible person?" Nate asked incredulously.

     "I didn't pick her, I was just observing what was already happening! You couldn't keep your eyes off her the entire night—."

     "I was making conversation so she wouldn't feel left out, S."

     Serena rolled her beautiful blue eyes. "Right. And she couldn't have just talked to me or Dan. Or taken a cab home."

      "I—I was being polite! Why are you getting on my case for being nice?"

     "Because you, kind and wonderful person that you are, still aren't that nice to just anybody!"

     "She... We're friends," Nate insisted.

     "She makes you laugh," Serena pointed out.

     "Friends tend to do that," Was his rebuttal.