05; Everything's Okay

No matter how long she worked as a ME, the one thing she didn't think she could ever get used to was the late night calls. Before the Jimmie incident, it was the sleep she missed the most, but now she didn't sleep often. Any little noise woke her up, which is why she was wide awake when her phone rang earlier about a recent murder.

She threw a dark-colored knitted sweater on over the white tank top she had slept in and changed into a pair of pants after slipping off her pajama bottoms. She grabbed a coat by the door, slipped on a pair of flats and wrapped a scarf around her neck, then was out the apartment door with her bag.

When she stepped out into the dark night, she paused for a minute to glance around, taking in her surrounds. This was why she hated late night calls now, she hated going out into the night. Once the sun set, there were too many shadows, too many places to hide, and with her out in the open she felt exposed.

She wrapped her arms around herself, rubbing her hands up and down her arms to ward off the chill. She told herself repeatedly that everything was okay, he wasn't out here waiting for her. Once she felt a little more sure about everything, she finally stepped away from the apartment building and began to walk to her car.

Minutes later, she arrived at the scene, seeing a few officers standing at the entrance to a park. She parked her dark-colored SUV beside one of the many cop cars parked on the side, their lights flashing. After exiting the car, she made her way over toward the small group near the crime scene tape and showed them her credentials, then slipped under the yellow tape.

She walked down a small pathway, getting closer to a small crowd of cops and the detectives on the case, which happened to be Danny and his partner. She came to a stop by a black bench, seeing a middle-aged man's body laying on the ground behind it.

"Hey, Little Bit." Danny turned to see her standing near the body.

"Hey, Danny Boy," Noelle said back.

"You know, I dunno if I can get used to seeing you on cases. When I look at you, I still see that little girl wanting to play doctor."

"Ha, you two use to play doctor?" his partner, Jackie, asked with a laugh.

"No, her and my kid brother," Danny answered. He quickly introduced the two, explaining to his partner that Noelle was an old family friend and was very close to his younger brother.

"Not bad." Jackie nodded.

"No, it wasn't like that." Noelle laughed, knowing she was getting the wrong idea from his comment before. "We really played doctor."

"I dunno, he was shirtless a lot," Danny said back.

"I had to check for wounds!" Noelle exclaimed.

"You were checking something alright," Danny teased her.

Noelle shook her head and rolled her eyes at the comment, then with a slight chuckle, said, "Don't you think we should get to the body?"

"Yeah, yeah, what can you tell us?"

Getting to work, she opened her bag and pulled out a small flashlight and set of gloves. She glanced down at the body as she slipped the gloves on and turned the light on.

"Right off the bat, I see a knife wound in the abdomen area. Looks like a pretty deep cut from here and I would guess was the fatal blow." She pointed toward the man's hands and wrist with the light. "Also some superficial cuts there, probably from trying to stop the attacker."

She squatted down beside the body, getting a closer look at the cut on his stomach. "And from the location of the wound, if I had to guess, I would say your killer is short."