28; No One Is Ever Lost

Closing a folder, Noelle dropped it onto the finished pile and grabbed another folder from the bigger to-do pile. Since coming into work that morning, she had been busy- almost too busy to take a breath it felt like.

After every autopsy she finished, there was another one waiting to be done, and her to-do pile didn't seem to be getting any smaller no matter how much paperwork she filled out. She was starting to think her work day would never end.

She was so lost in her work, she barely heard her cell phone when it began to vibrate beside her on the desk. Glancing at the time, she set the pen down she was using and reached for the phone, assuming it was Jamie calling her like he promised.

He had sleepily told her that morning as she was heading out the door that he would call her as soon as he could. He had just finished a late tour and had another one that afternoon. She shook her head and walked back over to the bed, telling him he didn't have to call, she tried to tell him she would just see him later that night but he insisted.

She shouldn't have been all that surprised about it. He usually called her several times a day while they were at work or shot her a quick text or two. She knew he liked to make sure no new surprises from Jimmie showed up and he wanted to know she was okay- he needed that reassurance to get through his day.

After realizing she wasn't going to win the argument that morning, she gave him a soft smile and a quick kiss, then watched him close his eyes and let out a content sigh before she rushed out the door for work- secretly wishing she could crawl back into the warm bed with him and sleep the morning away.

Shaking away the morning memories, she answered the ringing device and called out a greeting, expecting to hear Jamie's voice in return, but was surprised when it was Frank's voice answering back.

"Hello, commissioner," Noelle said, assuming he was calling for a work reason- although she wasn't sure what he could need her for. She figured he had his own medical examiner.

"You can drop the formality, Noelle," Frank said with a soft chuckle.

"Oh okay," she said, confused on why he was calling her then. This was starting to feel like a personal call. "Is there something I can help you with, Frank?"

"You remember that small café, the one with the peppermint hot chocolate that you always had to have on snow days?" he questioned.

"Oh yeah, Sugar Bean café," she said. "Actually it's right down the street." She still frequented the café sometimes on her lunch break. Not only did they have great coffee and desserts, but also amazing sandwiches and salads as well.

"Right," Frank said back. "Can you meet me there? Say, in about forty-five minutes?"

"Yeah, yeah, I can," she said, lowering her eyebrows in concern at the request.

"Great, I will see you then," he said, getting ready to end the call until she called out his name.

"What's going on? Is it- Is Jamie okay?" she questioned, her heart beginning to pound in her chest as every worst case scenario crossed her mind.

What if Jimmie went after him again? What if there was a setback with his lungs and he needed to go back to the hospital? She knew it was too soon for him to return to work-

"Jamie is fine," he assured her, pulling her from her rambling thoughts and causing her to breathe a sigh of relief.

"Is something wrong then? I mean, everyone is okay, right?" she asked, trying to think what could be going on that Frank would want to meet her. If history was any indication, it was never for a good reason.