06; Family Ties

As much as she enjoyed her job, there were the rare few times she hated it, and this night happened to be one of those times as she parked her car in front of an apartment building. Inside were three teenagers dead from a new drug. She had heard there was another teenager involved, but the first officers on the scene were able to resuscitate her and she was on the way to the hospital. She sent up a silent prayer, hoping the girl made it through this.

Arriving on the scene for any dead body was hard, but it was worse when it was someone so young, someone who was once so full of life. She couldn't help but think of her brother, he could have been one of those kids growing up, and the thing that scared her the most was, he still could be. She was forever dreading the day she got a call to come collect his body.

Stepping out of her car, she was headed for the building until she heard a familiar voice calling out her name. She spun around in surprise and saw Jamie jogging over to her. She swallowed hard, trying to stop her eyes from roaming over his uniformed body. She also had to stop her mind from remembering the other night on the porch when he was pressed so close to her, his hand resting on her cheek, his thumb moving across her bottom lip...

She loudly cleared her throat and stood up straight, pushing those imagines from her mind, and flashed him a forced smile when he came to a stop in front of her.

"Hey." His eyes dropped down to her lips for a moment before he jerked his eyes up. He didn't know what had gotten into him lately, but he was having a hard time keeping her off of his mind and an even harder time stopping himself from thinking of her in ways he shouldn't be.

"Hey, you're here. I wasn't expecting that." Realizing how that sounded, she quietly added, "I didn't mean it like that, I just...I meant-"

"It's okay," he cut her off. "Renzulli and I were the officers on the scene."

"You were the one who saved the girl," she guessed with a proud smile on her face. She reached out to lay her hand on top of his, which was resting on the belt of his uniform, she gave it a light squeeze. "Good job, Jams."

As he smiled at her, causing her stomach to flip-flop, she realized this was the kind of situation she told herself she needed to avoid. Telling him she needed to get to work, she went to pull her hand away, but he quickly reached out to grab her hand. He held on to it as he asked her to wait a minute.

He took a step closer to her and softly said, "I've been calling you and texting-"

"I know, I'm sorry. I've just-I've been busy," she lied. It wasn't that she didn't want to talk to him or even see him, she was just trying to do the right thing.

He laid his other hand on the back of his neck and nervously rubbed it as he brought up the one subject she had hoped he wouldn't.

"About the other night, on the porch-"

"We don't have to talk about it." She pulled her hand away. "We were just goofing around. It was nothing."

"So we're okay?" he questioned.

"Mm-hm." She nodded. "Why wouldn't we be? Nothing happened, right?"

Jamie stared at her for a moment, every part of him wanted to shout that something did happen, something was happening between them and he didn't know what to do about it, but he couldn't say any of that. Instead, he gave her a short nod, agreeing that nothing happened even though he knew that was a lie. He felt like that was just one of the many lies he had been telling himself lately.

Seeing her co-worker arrive, she gestured over her shoulder and took a step back. "I should get to work."

"Well, wait, listen, I'm working a double, but I'll be done around seven. Do you wanna meet up for dinner?" he questioned as he took a step toward her.