27; Meet The Parents

Reaching out a hand in the dark room, Jamie gripped the doorknob and turned it. He heard the door creak as he pulled it open and looked down at the basement stairs. He clicked on a flashlight, feeling a sense of déjà vu as he shined the light into the room- the thin beam of light barely broke through the darkness.

He cautiously stepped onto the top step and heard it groan under his weight. He swallowed hard, feeling his heart pounding in his chest as he took several steps down. He wasn't ready for this. He wasn't ready to go back into a basement- not after what happened before, but he knew he had no choice. Someone was in danger and he had to save them.

"Hello? Anyone down here?" Jamie called out as he stepped off the last step. He pulled in a deep breath of dry air, his head feeling faint as he remembered saying something similar that day he was trapped in a burning basement.

He took a few steps back until his back connected with a wall, then he bent forward to rest his hands on his knees as it became hard to breathe. No matter how many times he tried to take a breath, he remembered how it felt last time and began to panic all over again.

Pushing away from the wall, he headed for the stairs, he couldn't do this now. He couldn't search the place when he felt like this- it was too soon. He was about to step onto the bottom step, when he heard a noise toward the back of the room, the sound of a whimper- like someone was hurt, but too scared to make a sound.

"Is someone back there? It's the police, I'm here to help," Jamie said, his voice sounding calmer than he felt. He wanted the person to know they were safe and he was going to save them.

With a goal in mind, he was distracted enough to feel his heart rate slow down. He knew what he had to do now. He carefully walked further into the dark room, shining the light in front of him to guide the way.

Hearing a noise to his left, he jerked to the side, his other hand going for his gun until he noticed a dark-haired girl kneeled down on the floor with her head down. He moved the flashlight toward her, casting her in the bright light, and saw a chain around her ankle which was attached to a wall.

Clearing his throat to get her attention, he planned to tell her everything was okay now and help was here, but nothing prepared him for when she raised her head and he looked into the wide, scared eyes of his girlfriend.

"Nol?" Jamie questioned, his voice cracking with emotion. How the hell did she get down here?

"Jamie," Noelle breathed out as she stood up from the floor. Her wide eyes jerked from side to side as she quietly asked, "What are you doing here? You shouldn't be here. He-He'll be back soon."

"I don't care." He shook his head and took a step toward her. He assumed the 'he' she was referring to was Jimmie. He couldn't understand how Jimmie grabbed her; where was he when it happened? Why the hell didn't he protect her enough?

"Jamie, wait, no!" She held out her hands to stop him, then madly shook her head, wanting to get him out of there before it was too late. "You gotta go. He's coming back and he'll hurt you-"

"I don't care," he repeated, cutting off her frantic plea. All he wanted was to get her out of there. He wasn't going to fail her again.

"Jamie-"

"Nol, I'm not leaving you! Okay? I will never leave you. No matter what," he said, his tone desperate.

As she stood silently, he took a few more steps toward her. He glanced down to look at her foot and swallowed hard when he saw the heavy chain and the cuff on her ankle. He came to a stop and felt like he had just been punched in the stomach.

He couldn't believe this was happening to her again- the last time he couldn't do anything to save her, but he would be damned if he just walked away and left her here this time. Somehow he had to save her and get her the hell out of there.