12; Five Confessions and a Kiss

Noelle wasn't at work for long when she got a call about a body. She grabbed her bag and was out of the office within minutes. She glanced around for her co-worker, Will, but was informed that he was out picking up another body. She nodded her head at the information, then made her way toward the exit with plans to give him a call later.

She headed across town and parked near a few police cars, then made her way toward the river as a body was being pulled from the water. She glanced down at the body, getting first impressions before she got to work. Right away, she could tell the girl wasn't in the water for long.

After living in Florida she had seen several bodies that were underwater for too long. Most were accidental drownings, but some were crime-related. Either way, she had seen what water could do to a body when it was in it for too long, but this one looked fresh. Plus there was the fact that this girl still had her makeup on, which also pointed to the fact that she hasn't been under for long.

Hearing someone walk up and come to a stop beside her, she turned her head and smiled when she saw it was Jamie. He grinned at her and gave her a small nod, but kept his mouth shut. He didn't trust himself to speak to her because he was worried he would say something inappropriate for where they were at. Since they were at work, they needed to be professional.

"Is this how it's going to be now?" Renzulli questioned as he walked over to the couple, getting their attention. As they turned their heads to look at him, he added, "Anytime you two are on the job, I'm gonna have to watch you make goo-goo eyes at each other?"

The two blushed and avoided looking at each other to keep from being distracted, but Jamie couldn't stop himself from glancing over at her from the corner of his eye as she placed her bag on the ground and opened it before grabbing a pair of gloves to get to work.

"Sad. Beautiful young girl," Renzulli stated as he watched Noelle squatted down beside the body.

"Still has makeup on too," Jamie spoke up. "Must have just happened."

Noelle lifted her head up to look at him, impressed that he picked up on the same thing she did earlier.

"Wow, so when I talk about my job, you actually listen?"

"I listen to everything you say, Nol." Jamie flashed her a smile.

"Good to know you listen to someone, rookie," Renzulli said, getting their attention. "I was starting to think you had a hearing problem."

"I don't have a hearing problem," Jamie said to his partner, then joked, "I just usually ignore you most days."

"Watch it, kid," Renzulli joked back.

"Don't take it personally, Renzulli." Noelle stood up. "He usually ignores me too, which is why I'm so surprised when he does listen."

"You're joking, right?" Jamie shot his friend a look. "Listening to you is why I got in trouble 90% of the time growing up. You were always daring me to follow you or to back you up with some big plan you had, then once we got caught- which almost always happened- we got in huge trouble for it."

He paused for a moment in thought. "Well, actually, I was in big trouble. You would usually turn on the waterworks and get away with it."

"I did that once." She held up a finger to get her point across. "Plus I seem to recall the tears got us both out of trouble that day."

"Yeah, with your dad, but then I had to go home and tell my dad about it and he wasn't as understanding," he pointed out.

"I never knew that."

"Why do you think I was grounded for a month?" When she shrugged her shoulders, he added, "It was for the whole summer, but Mom talked him down to a month."