21; Not All Heroes Wear Capes

Minutes later, Noelle rushed inside the hospital, her shoes slapping against the floor as she made her way toward the front desk. She came to a quick stop, her hands slamming against the front of the desk as she fell against it. She pulled in a deep breath and tried to keep her voice steady as she asked for the room number of the patient they called her about.

She repeated the number to herself after hearing it, then nodded her head in thanks. She took off down the hallway, reading each number that she came across until she found the one she was looking for.

Easing the door open, she slipped inside the room and saw Spencer laying back in the bed. His eyes were up toward the ceiling as he flipped through the channels on the television, trying to find something good to watch with no luck. This was why he never bothered to watch anything and the main reason he didn't even own a television- work kept him busy anyway.

Hearing the door creak open, followed by a small gasp, he turned his head toward the door and felt his heart begin to race when he saw Noelle standing in front of the door. It had been several months since he had seen her, they had talked on the phone some here and there, but it wasn't the same as seeing her in person.

"You idiot," Noelle breathed out, a pained look on her face as she saw him laying in a hospital bed. She knew it wasn't the nicest greeting, but she knew how he was.

He was a jump first and question later kinda cop. He was the type that ran toward danger, not away from it. She remembered not long after he saved her from Jimmie, he was hit by a car from chasing down a drug dealer- thankfully he walked away from that with some cuts and bruises.

She still fussed at him, telling him he needed to be more careful and reminded him he wasn't a superhero. He had given her a cheeky grin and told her she had nothing to worry about- yet here she was standing in a hospital room while he was laid in a bed hurt.

"Well, hello to you too, Elle," Spencer said back, his voice gruff. He tried to sit up, his face scrunched up in pain as he tried to hold back a groan when a sharp pain shot through his side.

"I'm sorry," she softly said as she walked closer to the bed. "I just...what happened? They said on the phone you were stabbed."

"Yeah." Leaning back, he curled his arm around himself and laid a hand on his side where the wound was. "Guess we have matching scars now."

"That's not funny, Spence."

"It's a little funny." He smirked, then sighed when she shook her head at him. "Okay, you're right, it's not funny. I'm sorry, Elle."

"What happened? Was it... It was Jimmie, right?" She sank down onto a chair by the bed with tears in her eyes. She couldn't believe this was happening- the thing she feared the most has happened- Jimmie went after someone close to her.

"Actually, it wasn't," he answered.

"What?" she questioned, a shocked look appeared on her face. "Who was it then?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "Some guy. He was a few inches shorter than me, brown hair...definitely a junkie. He was messed up on something bad. He was convinced I had taken something from him and he wouldn't back off, then he pulled out a knife and I'm sure you can guess the rest."

"And it wasn't Jimmie? I mean, are you sure?" she asked again. After getting the call about him, she was sure it was Jimmie that had attacked him.

"No, it wasn't him," he said. "I've never seen this guy before."

"He's out, you know?" she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I know," he said back, his tone matching hers. "That's why I'm here, Elle."