-ˏˋ ɴɪɴᴇ ˎˊ˗

❝ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴋᴇ❞

"The attacks have been moving to the south of the city—" The speaker from the TV was interrupted as Renjun entered the room and switched it off. Mark tore his eyes off the blank screen and raised his eyebrows at Renjun, who chose to ignore him and started talking about his day.

"Donghyuck's been acting annoying, as per usual," Renjun groaned and then threw his head against the sofa. "You're so lucky to still be in the sweet phase of a friendship where he hasn't revealed his true nature to you."

"Well, he hasn't revealed anything to me," Mark mumbled to himself and Renjun shot him a sympathetic look.

"Listen, Donghyuck isn't the most open about his feelings, or life," Renjun cleared his throat and explained. Truth be told, Mark already knew all about that. He knew that although Donghyuck was loud, his secrets were the most hidden. In the duration of the time he had spent in this new house, Mark came to realise that he knew pretty much everyone else's story and life except for Donghyuck, who hadn't even slipped up once. The only thing Mark really knew was that Donghyuck had an ice ability. Nothing else.

"I know, I know," Mark sat up and made a move for the remote but Renjun was faster than him and leaned away. "Oi, let me watch."

"No," Renjun answered and stuck his tongue up, eliciting a frustrated groan from Mark.

"You sure you're not the annoying one and not Donghyuck?" Mark hissed as Renjun pinched his stomach when he reached over again. "Why aren't you letting me watch the news?"

"You're going to end up getting upset over something that doesn't involve you," Renjun replied and the second he caught sight of Donghyuck in the doorframe, he made a run for it. With a remote tightly grasped in his hand, Renjun dashed past Donghyuck and escaped the living room (and Mark).

"What was that about?" Donghyuck asked, taking a seat besides Mark and then looked around. "Where's the remote?"

"Renjun took it," Mark huffed out and fell back against the sofa.

Donghyuck shuffled closer to him and poked his cheek, causing his frown to deepen. A light tapping began against the window and Donghyuck glanced over to it. He reached his hand over again and dug his finger deeper into Mark's cheek and the rain intensified.

"Stop," Donghyuck chuckled and turned to Mark, who looked at him with confusion. The rain calmed down. "You're going to end up creating another storm over something so simple."

"I don't get it," Mark got up and scratched his head. "When I got upset before, it never rained and neither did any storm form up."

"Maybe you're emotions weren't strong enough, or you had some sort of barrier that was holding them back," Mark nodded along to Donghyuck's hypothesis and then turned his body around to face him.

"Donghyuck," Mark said softly and the younger hummed. "I think I saw my brother."

"Brother?" Donghyuck repeated and pointed at him accusingly. "You don't have a brother."

"I do!" Mark bounced in his seat and clapped his hands. "You see, my brother left our house when I was younger. I have no idea where he went."

"Was he your adopted brother, or did he also come from the orphanage?" Donghyuck asked. Mark narrowed his eyes for a moment, thinking hard on the question before giving up with a sigh. He shrugged his shoulders and Donghyuck continued. "Why did he leave your house?"

"I don't know," Mark muttered and began to bite on his nails. "I used to ask my parents everyday about where my brother was and they cried whenever I would mention him. After a while, however, they kind of just moved on from his disappearance."