Chapter 1: My Job

Levi's POV

The constant murmuring when people stared at me- it was almost unbearable. Earlier this week, the murmuring was about this rich family -more so of the head family- has been doing lately with their sketchy experiments. Being federally associated, we had to do something about it. More so investigate the case. All the alphas here tried to figure things out- but were all unsuccessful. I was there trump card- their winning bet.

A quick motion later, Erwin called me into his office for a talk. Instantly, I knew exactly what it was. He never calls me in unless I had to finish the work that was unfinished. "Levi, you must've heard, I would've guessed."

I nodded my head, almost growling a bit. "Yeah, I heard. This needs to stop, Erwin. Everyone looks at me like I'm the last they got-"

"But you are, Levi." Erwin smirks a bit, chuckling. "But putting it aside, I must say... this case is hard to break. Listen, all we need is evidence, understood? Just evidence. Anything at the Perkins Mansion to prove they have been doing illegal experiments. After that, you may go into an early retirement. Wouldn't you like that?"

"Tch," I growled, thinking about it all over. "Early retirement? I'm only 31 years old. But... it does sound nice. Having these people out of my business. All these stares would end." But I wondered what I would do in my free time. I had no wife, no family, no nothing. Anyone I met was just terrible and wanted me because of my fame.

"So what do you say, Levi? Take the job?"

I growled heavily, nodding my head. "Fine, I'll take the Perkins' Case."

Erwin smiled as my words began to plead a great alpha like him. Only the top ones can be head of the investigation unit... only the smartest brains... I was nothing like that. Just the brawn of the group. I didn't want such a job like that. I'm no puppy to take orders- but I'm a terrible leader. I wished I was somewhat of a free-lancer, but that doesn't matter. I'll take this case down.

"Now, we have an opening for you, Levi." Erwin began, turning his back on me. "There's a party that they're holding this weekend at 9 pm sharp. What we can do is forge an invitation letter and send you. Of course, we need a cover for you. Unfortunately, you're too well-known, and that's a good thing for us."

"How so?" I growled, sitting on a chair and watching him silently with my eyes. "If I'm well-known, how is it good if it's an undercover case?"

For some damn reason, he was chuckling. "Well well... with your well-known reputation, we can say that you can 'promise' to keep the Perkins out of the federal hands. Of course, you would need to betray them. Anything to get evidence, understand? As you're my agent, I wouldn't mind whatever methods you use to get evidence. Forging the evidence is the crime, of course, and I won't let that slide."

Thinking it through, it sounded fool-proof. Already accepting the case, I had no choice but to move forward with the plan. I wouldn't have minded using unorthodox methods to get evidence, but I'm still human- even if I am an alpha. I wouldn't use those methods too much... but would only use them if I do get trapped.

"Levi, get ready for this weekend for the party. Everything must go smoothly there. If we mess things up there, we won't have any more openings. This is our one and only chance, Levi. You are the best man for this. Don't let this opportunity slip through our fingers."

I nodded my head, understanding the whole case. "I won't. I'll be successful."