Chapter 9

Hey guys. Sorry this chapter is so short. I kind of forgotten that I was writing a book. I've been swamped at home with college and all. But here's several chapters that I was able to finish before I had to turn in for the night. Hope y'all enjoy it. Thanks for reading. :)

Chapter 9

            “You know,” I say, letting my voice get soft. “I’ve never met anyone with a first name as ‘alpha’. It sounds like there’s a story behind it.” At his chuckle, which seems to do surprising things to my heart, I start thinking that he’s not so bad. For an alpha, that is.

            But instead of a full blown out laugh to follow that chuckle, the guy just stands there, watching me, again. Great! I’ve pissed him off. Alphas need to get a sense of humor. It is so not cool. I open my mouth to apologize to Cass, but before I could say anything, Tom comes busting into the room. “Alpha…Cass, the girl’s gone. Red and I can’t find her.” I notice that his voice is filled with worry. I feel almost guilty for leaving my room, but then I shrug it off. I don’t need a bodyguard.

            Tom finally sees me sitting in front of the desk. I watch as his faces turns five shades of red. Watching a man Tom’s size blush that bad turns out to be very hilarious. He bows his head at Cass and then leaves. This left me alone with a pissed off looking alpha, which doesn’t have a sense of humor. Just my luck.

            After Tom leaves, Cass looks at me a little weird. I keep my eyes focused on either the floor or his desk. But I catch myself glancing at him from under my eyelids. Damn, does he have to be so good-looking? I ask myself, biting my lip. His deep voice sliced through my thoughts, quickly pulling me back to reality. “Now Ms. Bellflower, I know that you know my first name isn’t ‘Alpha’.” At his words, I accidentally lose control of my emotions and I feel my blank expression fall. But it only lasted for a few seconds, and then my expression was back. I hate being an “open book”, so I tend to keep everything bottled up and hidden. Lynx is always telling me that I need to let my emotions out sometime or I’ll just blow up one day. I think he compared me to a ticking time bomb.

            “Your father, Alpha Lynx, and I just finished a very informative phone call. So you see, I know that you know about us. There’s nothing to hide, little human.” For some reason, I could hear the timber of his voice change at the end of the sentence. This alpha is a little sleep deprived, me thinks, I think mentally chuckling. But I could feel my anger rising slowly at the term “little human”. My anger slowly drained the color out of my face. I knew I looked like I was about to pass out. But as quick as it rises, it disappears. If he’s calling me that, then Lynx didn’t tell him that I haven’t shifted yet, or didn’t correct his way of thinking.

            I didn’t think that this little alpha, Cass, could surprise me anymore. But his next few words took the icing off the cake, that’s for sure. “You don’t have to pretend you’re a normal human around me or my pack. We understand.” For some reason, I decide to act like I have learned my lesson. It’s the alpha blood in me I guess. I can’t pass up any opportunity for a good prank, even if the punch line doesn’t come out until later.

            I slowly nod my head once, and making my voice a whisper, almost too soft for Cass to hear. “Of course Alpha, I’m sorry.”  He just stands there as if he is expecting a longer explanation or something from me. That’s all he’s getting from me right now. I think smugly as I watch him. I just sit in the chair looking at my hands. Thirty minutes of silence passes. I almost start when he slides a cell phone towards me. “Your father would like it if you called him.” I eyes widened for a split second, but he didn’t really seem to notice. “After you finish your call, please return to your room and rest.” He used his alpha voice on me, and for the first time in my short 18 years, I could feel the power of an alpha commend.

            Lynx would try to use it on me over the years, but it would just roll off and not even bother me. Cass’s on the other hand made me want to bow and ask for forgiveness. But since I’ve done nothing wrong, I grit my teeth and take the cell. I watch as Cass heads out of the office. I listen to his footsteps as he heads down the hall. For several seconds, there’s only silence. Then the sound of liquid being poured into a glass faintly reaches me. I glance down at the phone. I debate with myself for a minutes on whether I should call or not, but the need to hear Lynx and Nina’s voices out weights the feeling of getting into trouble for not telling them I was leaving. Taking a deep breath, I quickly punch in Lynx’s personal cell number and listen to the phone ring. I send a silent prayer to the moon goddess that he won’t be overly pissed at me.