Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Lynx’s Point of View

            I had been asleep almost two hours after Mari’s call when Michael woke me. Alpha, we have a car coming from Alpha Winchester’s territory. He said that it’s very important to speak with you. He said that it can’t wait until tomorrow.

            Bring him to the pack house Michael. And thanks for letting me know. But tell him this is the second time he caused me to lose sleep. It had better be important.

            Yes Alpha. We’ll be there in five. He cuts the link. I sigh and roll out of bed. I grab a shirt and head to my office. In less than five minutes, Michael, Cass, and Tom are standing in front of me. I finish my fifth cup of coffee and stare at Cass. “What do I owe the pleasure of such a late visit from you Alpha Winchester?”

            The pup looked embarrassed. He cleared his throat. “I’m sorry for disturbing your sleep again sir, but it’s about Mari, your adopted daughter.” I look at him and I can tell he’s not lying. “Michael, would you make another pot of coffee, no, make that two pots. I think we’re going to need it.” He nods and leaves. I wave to the chairs and the men sit down. I look at him and growl, “Spill.”

            He looks nervous. “Lynx, I need to know about Mari. Everything you can tell me. We had a little spat and then she went to her room. I was about to go to bed when she…” He looked at his hands. “Well, what did she do?” I ask getting a little irritated.

            “I was about to go to bed when she links, links, with me. She told me she was sorry for getting me mad, and that she would see me in the morning. What kind of human could link with an alpha, and on top of that, one that’s not even in her pack?” I could tell that he was confused, but he wanted answers. And some of them, even I didn’t have them.

            “What I can tell you Cass is that Mari’s special. She lost her birth family in a Mutt attack, then again with her first adoptive family. Nina and I took her in when she was ten. We raised her as our own. We wanted to adopt her, but she didn’t want to lose her last her, the only tie she had left of her family. We don’t know much about either family. We do, however; know that the Bellflowers were wolves. But we can’t find anything on her birth parents. We just assumed that they were humans.

            “She’s been through so much. I just try to keep her in the pack and out of trouble. Nina and I are thinking of taking her North for a year, just for a change of pace. We think she needs it.” Cass nods, still looking at his hands. I open my mouth to tell him to give her time and space when my cell rings. I pick it up thinking that it was Mari. “Lynx McKlondon.”

            “Hey you old hound dog.” I look at the phone dumbfounded. Then I look back at Cass and Tom. “Would y’all excuse me? It’s kind of a private call.” They nod and leave, closing the door behind them. “Randy, you old sly coon you. Where have you been hiding?” I ask chuckling.

            “Oh, here and there mostly. The pack and I have settled on a little piece of land just northwest of Winchester’s pack. I’m thinking of buying it, and selling the old land to you or him. My little pack doesn’t need the memories of the place.”

            “I can understand that. So, why did you call? It’s almost three in the morning man.” I hear him sigh.

            “My men found a young girl in the woods. Thinking she was a Mutt, they surrounded her and knocked her out with a little sleeping dart, nothing to strong mind you.” He starts. I listen a little confused. “She took down five, five of my best men Lynx. I’ve never seen anything like it. This girl looked like a pro out there. It took a little bit for the drug to make her sleep, then Dean took her to the holding area. You know Lynx, I couldn’t believe that you would send a mute to do a job for you. But she can hold her own real good.”