Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Cass’s Point of View

            I knew that I was getting closer to the Mutts because their scents were getting stronger and easier to pick up. I was four, five minutes away from them when I caught a smell of several alphas near me. Changing my direction just a little, I run right into their group. They were in their human forms. I quickly stepped behind a tree and shifted back to my human form. Slipping on my shorts, I join them. As I glance around the group, my eyes land on Dean Teague, Randy’s beta. I’m not going to lie, the man looked like hell.

            He had a deep gash on his forehead, several slashes on his face, and glass shards in his hair, clothes, and skin. To say that I was shocked to see him here, almost fifty miles from their new territory, would be an understatement. Only Randy left their boundaries over the past eight years. Only because he was looking for his daughter, and he wanted his pack protected and able to defend if anyone attacked. He wasn’t worried about his safety.

            “What the hell happened to you Dean?” I asked, worried about my friend. “It was those freaking Mutts man.” He says as he pops his shoulder back into place without wincing. “We, the alpha, Bobby and I were taking a little girl back to her father on our way to see Alpha McKlondon. He called Randy and said that he found some new and fresh information on his daughter.” He rubs his face, immediately regretting it. “The girl’s a mute. Anyway, she spots some wolves in the woods by the road and pointed them out to me. I could tell that they were Mutts, but before I could tell Randy or Bobby anything, a truck slammed into us.

            “They attacked us for a reason, Cass. I just don’t know what it is. The alpha, he made me run, to go look for help. Bobby… He had a metal pipe in his throat; the alpha was bleeding but not too badly. And the girl…I couldn’t hear anything from her, no heart beat nothing. I stumbled on these guys and we were just about to head back to get the others when you came running up.”

            “I’ll go with you Dean. Randy’s a good friend of mine and he was my dad’s best friend. There’s no way I’m going to just walk away from helping him.” All of us shift into our wolves. But before we could lift a paw to run, we all heard a voice full of pain, angry, longing, and sadness through our links. Now we all know that there is no wolf powerful enough to talk to any wolf outside of their pack through a link. So when we heard the voice, it scared the crap out of all of us.

            Alpha Cortez and three others were attacked by Mutts. One’s dead, one’s missing, one’s still trapped in the SUV, and the alpha was last seen being dragged off by the Mutts. Please, anyone who can hear. They need help!! We all look at the other. In every pair of eyes were shock, fear, and awe. I let out a deep, sorrowful howl and the others joined in. Without looking back, I took off, following Dean. 

            Within minutes we came to the wreckage. Shifting behind the trees, we slowly stepped out onto the road. We kept our eyes and ears peeled for any sign of trouble. There, on the side of the road, laid Randy’s body. Beside it laid the torn and broken body of a young Mutt. I kneeled down and felt for a pulse. “Dean! He’s got a steady, but weak pulse. We got to get him to a doc and fast.” As Dean sends a link to his pack, I slowly make my way to the upturned SUV. One of the men walk towards me bringing the most beautiful smell with him. I would know that smell anywhere. Mari’s here, or was here.

            I rush to the back window and kneel to look in. There, on the back seat, held tight by a seat laid my mate. My wolf, Danger, was going nuts. He was jumping up and down, howling, running in circles, and sighing happily. I look at her confused. Hey D, why didn’t you know she was our mate back at the house?