Chapter 11

This is still in Lynx's point of view. 

Chapter 11

            For a split second, I thought that it was Cass calling me back to tell me that Mutts attacked, or that Mari was dead. I knew that wasn’t rational, but a father’s worry is never rational. He said that he would have Mari call as soon as she woke up. I know, I know. It’s sleep deprivation and weeks of worry, that’s all. I cut the connection with my wolf and answer the phone. “McKlondon.”

            “Daddy?” The sound of her voice washed over me. I let out a deep sigh of relief. Nina, baby. Our little girl is safe. I whisper softly through the pack link.           She doesn’t wake up, just snuggles closer to me and sighs softly. Then Mari starts to cry a little, making both my wolf and I upset. “I’m so, so, so sorry for leaving and not letting you or Mom know that I was. I’m sorry for not linking y’all either. I just wanted to find him on my own, without help. I’m sorry.” Her sobs made her voice soft.

            “It’s okay darling. Take deep breaths now. In and out.” I tell her as I listen as she starts to calm down. “Have you found any trace of Randy yet?” I ask softly, letting her mind focus on something other than freaking out. “No, sir, I haven’t. I… I’m in Alpha Winchesters territory right now. I’ve cleared all but the northwestern section.” She pauses for a minute, and then continues. “Lynx, I’m so mad at myself. I let a stupid novice trap get me. Just how stupid can I get? I know better than just walking into a building, however dilapidated it looks, thinking it was safe. But I should have known better, I mean it’s in the middle of Cass’s territory, ya know.”

            I stifle a laugh as I listen to her rant. I know that she hates when little things catch her off guard. She’s trained for eight years straight to become a warrior, a fighter. But I could also her just how tired, angry, and upset she really was. She thought that finding an alpha, a man who is or was one of the best trackers and fighters in the werewolf history would be easy. Although, she doesn’t really know much about him, I knew I should have told her everything I knew about him.

            “It’s okay baby girl. You’ve done better than most of my men would have done, I promise. And don’t call yourself stupid. You are far from being anywhere close to that. And you know it.” As I gripe at her, something flashes in my mind. Something that both my wolf and I do not like at all. “Cass huh? You and that pup on first name bases already?” I growl at the phone. I know she hasn’t shifted yet, and she knows how I feel about casual relationships while waiting on your mate. “Gross Daddy. No, no way!” Her voice hits an octave higher. That, of course, made me feel somewhat better.

            “He hasn’t found his mate yet, and I haven’t shi… You know. And besides, he’s way older than me. You know how I feel about that.” I did know. She has constantly told me over the years that there was no way under the moon that she would ever date a guy who’s more than seven years older than her. I hate the thought of her finding her father and leaving Nina and I, but Randy’s my best friend. I swore that if I had known that she was his sooner that I did, I would have hunted him up and handed her over. But that was a lie. Mari stole both mine and Nina’s heart after we took her in after the deaths of her family.

            I shake my mind out of my thoughts. There was silence coming from her end of the call. “Sweetheart, are you okay?” I ask, starting to get a little worried again. “I’m fine, promise. Just trying to figure out how to tell you something that Cas… Alpha Winchester did.”

            “What did he do? That little pup had better not laid a finger on you. If he did, he’s dead!” I knew that he wouldn’t touch her, but when it comes to Mari and Nina, my wolf and I always agree and are always protective of them. Her voice made my wolf snap and take control. I fought to calm him down. He relented and cut the connection. I knew that he was going to go mope.

            “Dad, would you just chill! Come one, how many times do I have to explain my rules to you? No, he didn’t lay not one finger on me, okay. I’m fine, I’m not hurt and I’m alive. He told me that he promised you that I would call him after I woke up. Then he gave me his cell phone and used an alpha command on me. Dad, I actually felt it. I mean, you’ve tried for years to use one on me and it never worked. Not one time. But C… Alpha Winchester told me to go to bed after I finished my call to you and get some rest. I can feel the pull of the command. And to be honest, I hate it. I promise that when you hand me alpha-ship of the pack, Lynx, I will never, ever, use an alpha command unless it’s absolutely necessary!”

            By the time she was finished talking, she was yelling at me. I sat on my bed, baffled. I used to think that because of the alpha blood running through her veins, and the fact that as of yet, she has not yet shifted, that an alpha command would have no effect on her what so ever. What in the hell did that pup do to make his command work on her? My wolf growled. “I know you won’t baby girl. You’ll be a good leader, and they’ll follow you because you’ll be fair and just, but also firm and trustworthy. Listen, I’m tired. Ever since you took off, the guys and I have been combing the entire border and the woods looking for you. You scared us to death, Mari, most of all, Nina. You know how she worries about you. Call or link me in the morning. Get a good night sleep. Oh, and Mari. Lock your door.”

            I didn’t tell her that to make her fill guilty. In all honesty, it just slipped out. “I’m sorry Dad.” The guilt in her voice made me feel like crap. “I promise to never do that again when I get home.” Again, her voice is riddled with guilt and it’s so quiet that I could barely hear it. Wiping my hand across my face, I sigh. “Listen princess, its fine. You’re forgiven, honest. Just come home when you’ve finished. Stay safe, will ya.” I tried to make my voice sound happy. “When you get home, we’ll go for that 2K run you’ve been nagging me about for months, deal?” I ask knowing that would make her perk up.

            And it did instantly. “Yes sir, Mr. Alpha Dad sir! It’s a deal.” She said laughing softly. “Good night Mari.”

            “Good night Dad. Give mom a kiss for me and tell her I’m sorry.”

            “I will Mari. Now go to bed. You sound sleepy.” I tell her, smiling. I hang up listening to her laugh. Kissing Nina, I roll over and drift to sleep in seconds.