Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Lynx’s Point of View

            The past several weeks have been hell. For a quiet kid, Mari has certainly put Nina and me through a lot. I chuckle softly. I know that most of it, she didn’t really mean to do. But running off at dawn to go looking for a birth father that may or may not be alive based on some kind of feeling, is currently at the top of the list for Mari’s crazy stunts. I knew telling her now was a mistake. But I knew she had to be told. Though I would have preferred putting off telling her a little later on, to tell the truth.

            When Nina woke up the morning after we told Mari the truth, she went to go see if Mari wanted to drive into the city for a shopping trip. But the girl had already left, which threw Nina into a panic. My men and I started combing the woods for her. They found her scent by the park facing the western borders, but because of the heavy mist, in a few hours even my best trackers couldn’t find it. And her scent wasn’t a very strong one for some reason. I personally think it’s due to the fact that both of her natural parents were full blooded, pure white alphas. Randy and Isabella both came from strong bloodlines that can be traced back hundreds of years. Pure white wolves barely have a scent. That is, until they mate, then it’s a mixture of pine, vanilla, and lavender.

            I wasn’t really worried about her, but my wolf was starting to worry. That’s because she hasn’t contacted us since the day she left you idiot. She could be dead, or hurt, or captured by Mutts. I shake my head, knowing his right. By the time I finish my last sweep through the woods hoping for any clue of her, I’m dead tired. I make my way back to the house. I find Nina asleep on the couch, holding a picture of Mari. I slowly pick her up and carry her to our room. Laying her on the bed, I grab a change of boxers and step into the shower.

            The past few weeks are starting to slip up on me, making me feel old and tired. The hot water from the shower relaxes my muscles. I dry off and climb into bed next to my mate. In seconds, I’m out. I couldn’t have been out for more than two hours, when the phone starts ringing. I grab it quickly, hoping that the sound didn’t wake Nina. Not even bothering to look at the caller id, I answer. “Alpha McKlondon.” I snap, a little irritated at being woken up. “Alpha Winchester here.” His voice comes roaring through. Winchester, Winchester. Oh, yes, Castiel.

            “Hello Cass. It’s been a long time.” I say dryly. That alpha is still a pup in my book, barely dry behind the ears. I just hope some Mutts aren’t attacking his pack. My men and I can’t handle that stress as well. I shake my head. The pup can fight his own battles until I get Mari back.

            “Too long Lynx.” Cass chuckled. “I’m guessing that you didn’t call me just to catch up on old times, uh?” I ask, barely keeping sarcasm out of my voice. I’m not the only alpha that hates being woken up in the middle of the night.

            “Correct. A few of my men found a human girl in one of our old outpost. She said that you were her foster father, and that you sent her on a job.” I feel my heart stop and then slowly resume its pace. Thank the goddess she’s alive. I softly whisper.  I must have spoken louder than I thought because Nina rolled over and took the phone from me. Nina’s voice shook when she spoke. “Is she safe? How is she?” I can hear the worry and fear in her voice. When Mari gets back, she is so grounded. I mumble, though I know that Nina won’t let the punishment last for long. Mari, although not our flesh and blood, is the closest thing both Nina and I have as a daughter. And the closest thing my pack has to its next alpha.

            “My men found her in an old trap that was in the outpost. The rope was old and frayed, and it gave way under her weight. She fell, but the doc said that she’s fine and nothing was hurt Right now she’s sleeping in the guest room off of Doc’s office.” At the report he gave us on Mari, Nina’s face turned pale. Taking the phone from her, I turn and face the door. “I understand.” I tell him, letting him know that I appreciate the call and the update. Maybe the pup ain’t so bad after all.

            But the next words out of his mouth almost had me declaring war for disrespecting my daughter.  “By the way, how much does your human daughter know about us, our kind?” He asks me all innocent like. If he or his men for that matter can’t smell the wolf in her, they’re all idiots. “She’s not hum…” My wolf growls at me, stopping the words in my mouth. If he says she’s human, she must have told them that for a reason. Maybe she felt scared around them or they frightened her. You remember the lecture you gave her about passing herself off as human. She’d only do that now as a last resort.

            “Cass, she knows everything. Nina and I thought that it was best to tell her, especially if her mate turned out to be one of us. We didn’t want her to flip out.” I hate the thought of her pretending to be human, but at least Cass knows that she’s not normal at least. I can hear something brushing up against the phone like he’s nodding his head. “Lynx, I’ll have her call you when she wakes up. I have to go, something just came up.”

            “I understand Winchester. Thanks for letting us know.” I say as we hang up. I look over at Nina. “Our baby girl is safe and alive. Don’t worry about her baby. She’s growing up.” I say softly as I kiss her head. I lay the phone on the night stand and wrap my arms around my mate and pull her closer. “Cass will have her call us as soon as she wakes. Try to get some rest until then, okay.” She gives me the first real smile I’ve seen on her face in weeks. Then she slowly laid her head on my chest, and in seconds, she was out.

            I lay there listening to Nina’s heartbeat. An hour passes, and I’m starting to slowly drift back off to sleep when the phone rings again. Ya know, I tell my wolf, I’m seriously thinking about moving to the middle of nowhere just for some sleep. I hear him laugh as I reach for the phone.