Something in her eyes

Ed's POV
I don't know how she does it. Sure she's a clairvoyant but she seems to read me like an open book. Even when she's not looking.

I was distracted, didn't see that I was still inches away from the countertop. I hear the cup smashing in to a thousand pieces... "Damnit!" The lady wants tea - with sugar- so I'll make the lady tea with sugar. I grab a new cup out of the cupboard and put the kettle on. Meanwhile I'm trying to clean up that mess.

"She's hiding something", flashes through my mind. It has been six months since we came back from the farmer's case. The car wasn't even fully stopped yet, or I saw Lorraine running into the house. The whole ride she didn't say anything nor did she answer my questions... by the time I came to our room it was locked. I heard her sobbing, tried to convince her to open the door. She didn't open it. Not for eight full days. Every meal I had put a tray before the door, every time I came back it was untouched. Eight days I heard her cry whenever I sat in the hallway. Eight days of begging her to open the door. Just to see if she was all right. I knew better than to ask what she had seen, though I knew it was bad. In fifteen years of us being together, I had never seen her like this. It scared the living hell out of me.
The whistling of the kettle makes me snap out of my thoughts. I make the tea, with two cubes of sugar - because that's how my Lorraine loves it - and turn around to go back. Lorraine is standing right in front of me, leaning against the wall. She smiles... "Thank you", she says.

It's been six months but I can still see her face as she left the room. Red, swollen eyes, bags underneath her eyes as black as the ace of spades. She looked as white as a sheet. As soon as she saw me the sobbing started again, but she fell into my arms this time. "I'm so sorry", she kept muttering. "Honey, it's okay! I understand and I'm here for you." I try to reassure her. She's never apologised for crying over a vision - even though this time was a very bad reaction to it- so why should she now? There's something in her eyes that betrays that there's something else, but I know Lorraine. She'll tell me when she's ready!

Lorraine's POV
As soon as I locked the door I ran to our bathroom. I already knew but I needed to check. As I lifted my skirt, my fears turned into reality. Blood already ran down my thighs. My panties were soaked with it.

All I could do was cry. I let the bathtub fill up and undressed. Cramps shooting through my belly. I threw my panties in the bin, I didn't bother to put them in the laundry basket.
I heard myself talking "He never knew, you should've told him about the baby", and I lost it.
In my vision I saw my worst fear: losing Ed. By losing the baby, I felt like I lost a part of him. All I wanted was to hug Judy, and fall asleep in Ed's arms. But I couldn't leave the room. So I laid down in the bath. The water quickly turned red, but I didn't care. It felt as if the tub was filled with my tears and blood.

I found out about the pregnancy four weeks before, when I had this dream about Judy kissing my round belly. I woke up and did the math. Sure enough, I had missed my period two weeks before that. I wanted to keep it to myself for a while, our little secret. Baby and me. I'd planned to tell Ed this week. And instantly I felt a surge of guilt, "he never knew". I didn't want to tell him then either. He'd be a mess, getting pregnant with Judy had been so hard. This little miracle would've made him so happy and in an instant it was all gone.

If Ed would have known he wouldn't have let me come with him to the farmer's case. He's always so protective and him knowing that I was pregnant would only amp up his protection of me.

The baby came away with a bad pain. It was tiny but so perfect. And it would have been loved dearly. I locked myself in our room for the next eight days, crying. I didn't eat or drink anything. I barely slept and when I did, i saw Ed being impaled by that wooden stake. The eight day I couldn't be alone any longer. I needed Ed, I wanted to hug Judy. And I left the room. There he was; waiting for me at the door like he had been the previous days. He's stopped begging me to open the door two days ago, but he still came and sat down in the hallway across our room.

Oh how I love that man, and how scared I am to lose him. Losing our second child felt like losing a part of him, but also a part of me. I'd tell him, one day. Just not yet.

So, the secret is out. What do you think? Leave a comment ☺️ and thanks for reading!