Questions and stories

Ed's POV

Have you ever wondered if there's something else in this world? The things you can't see? I've always had a fascination with the world beyond ours, ever since the things I saw when I was young. Nobody believed me, so I started to do research on my own. I knew there was more than meets the eye...

When Lorraine told me on our first date that she could see and hear things, I knew we were meant to be. Of course she had known before that. God had brought us together for a reason, and helping people is one part of that reason. What the other is, we are yet to find out.

The first time I witnessed Lorraine having a vision, I didn't know what was happening. We were talking to a priest about a haunting. All of the sudden she was completely out of this world, and had a blank look on her face, it was as if she was paralysed. I kept waving in front of her, saying her name but nothing brought her back. Father Gonzales said, "Ed, I think Lorraine might be a clairvoyant. This is very typical." I was confused. I knew Lorraine saw things like auras and spirits but having visions? "B-but she can't be clairvoyant, she's my wife!" I stammered.

When Lorraine came to, she was drained. The vision she had, would be of great help for the case. But it was then I realised that every vision would take a little piece. She'll recover that piece after a while, however, not completely. She would always return to my Lorraine. The woman I've loved for the last 16 years. But the Theriault exorcism had left a big hole, literally and figuratively. And even though a year later she has come back from the hell she went through, she isn't completely the same.

Since the anniversary of the miscarriage, Lorraine has been having nightmares again. She won't tell me what they are about, but I'd die to know. Only to halve her pain...

Last night she had another nightmare, well I knew she was having the vision again. She woke up violently kicking around, screaming "No! Please don't!" Instinctively I put my arms around her, she felt like she was freezing even though she was sweating. "Sssshhh, it's alright, hon. It's only a dream..." I said trying to calm her, knowing very well that it wasn't just a dream. Her screams weakened into soft sobs as her body relaxed in my arms, I wiped her tears and said, " I wish you'd tell me." She looked up and stammered with a pained look in her eyes, "I- I can't..." I knew there was no point in asking her again. She would tell me, when she was ready.

Lorraine's POV

I knew he needed to know, he had every right to. I saw his death and that wasn't something I could keep from him. I just couldn't tell him, not yet. People change when you tell them when or how they are going to die, and even though I knew Ed was different than most I didn't want to take the chance.

While feeling the safety of his arms around me, I tried to get the image out of my head. We were brought together for a reason, why would god show me Ed would be taken away from me? I couldn't wrap my head around it, it scared me but also terribly confused me.

It took hours to get back to sleep, I kept going over that one question. Exhausted I finally fell into a dreamless sleep and woke up again at six o'clock. Knowing I'd wake up Ed with my tossing around, I snuck from underneath the covers, grabbed my robe and tiptoed out of our room. I quickly checked on Judy, who was still fast asleep, and went to the living room. I browsed the bookcase, needing to take my mind off that vision and the questions in my head. Normally I'd read the bible, but I didn't want to. I took one of my favourites: A Wrinkle In Time. I wrapped myself in a cosy blanket, tucked up my legs, started reading and got sucked in the story.

All of the sudden I startled as I felt two cold hands against my legs. Judy had come down, taken a book herself and wanted to get under the blanket next to me. I looked at her, she rubbed her eyes and smiled sheepishly. The clock read 6:45, that's early for her on a Saturday! "Morning, baby!" "Mommy, do you want to read with me?" She asked holding out The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I smiled and closed my book, lifted the blanket so Judy could snuggle up against me. She jumped in the sofa and crawled next to me with a big smile on her face.

I took the book out of her hand and opened it up. "Once, there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy..." I began. Judy put her arms around my and rested her head on my chest. It had been a long time since we had read together. Judy could read for a few years now, and she didn't like to be read to any more. I breathed in the sweet scent of her shampoo, like I had done a thousand of times and enjoyed this moment.

Her breath slowed down and she became heavier with each breath she took. I knew she was falling asleep again, but I kept reading even after I saw her eyes close. I kissed the top of her head and read on. Ed had woken up as well, and was on the way down. He came down the stairs and smiled. I put my finger in front of my lips and winked. He kissed me, and whispered, " I'll make you a cup of tea." "That would be nice," I whispered back and continued "Because the game of hide-and-seek was still going on ..."

Not the best chapter, I had something in my mind and lost it over the days. Still I hope you guys like it. Thanks for reading!