Playing tricks

Lorraine's POV
We didn't take any cases or do any lectures for over 4 weeks. I slept poorly, had nightmares and woke up screaming or crying for weeks on end. Ed was always there for me, even though he didn't know what I saw or what had happened.

Judy was so sweet afterwards. Ever since she was little she used to sit playing in the study while I was working there alone. When I asked her why, she answered "To protect you, mommy." I've called her my guardian angel ever since.
She knew something was wrong, when I came out of my room back then. Sure she hadn't seen me for eight days, and Ed did explain it to her. We never kept it a secret that I'm clairvoyant, because we always knew there was a chance that I passed it on to Judy. We wanted her to know that she could talk to us about it, when she saw things. She knew that "mommy saw something" but she could see there was something else... she gave me a look that said it all. The very look Ed gave me just a few moments ago.

At dinner, that evening, we just went on as usual. If anyone would have seen us, they would consider us a normal family. And in many ways we are, just not quite. We laughed over Ed tripping when he went to the grocery store that morning, Judy talked about her painting she was making.

After dinner I sent Judy of to make herself ready for bed, while Ed and I started the dishes. "Are you okay, hon?" Ed asked. He was worried, I knew that, yet it still annoyed me. "I'm fine, Ed. Really. I feel a lot better." I smiled at him, he smiled back but it wasn't his usual smile. I could feel his emotions, they were all over the place. Very unlike my Ed, who was a very steady man. "You know,why don't you put Judy to bed? I'll finish up here", I asked him.

Reluctantly he put the towel on the table, gave me a kiss and went up the stairs. I could hear Judy giggling, and Ed chasing after her. It made me feel safe to have them so close. We didn't have any cases at the moment, though we did a lot of lectures. Ed was safe, at least for now. I put away the last teacups and went upstairs. Ed was playing on his guitar for Judy in our room. She looked smitten, and I couldn't help but lean into the door and watch them. When Ed finished the song, Judy looked up and her eyes glistened, "Mommy, come here". I crawled into the bed, she crawled onto my lap and hugged me very tight. "All right, scoot over", Ed giggled. And we just sat there, the three of us.

I remembered the first time we'd done this. It was the very first night after we brought Judy home from the hospital. I felt so complete back then, but now there was a piece missing. Judy had fallen asleep on my lap, I didn't even realise it until I heard Ed say " She looks so much like you, Lorraine. That peaceful expression when she sleeps, so innocent." I smiled and looked down. Little Judy always looked like a mix of the both of us, just perfect. But Ed was right, she started to look more and more like me as she grew older, though she had Ed's eyes, a warm dark brown.

I carried her to bed, kissed her on her forehead and went back to our room. Ed had changed into his shorts and t shirt, ready for bed. After fifteen years, I still loved him as much as I did when we first met. I craved him and I knew he wanted me too. I stepped towards the bed, undressing "Not too tired, mister Warren?" I asked him. "Not at all, mrs Warren!" And I jumped into the bed.

I awoke on Ed's chest, hearing a familiar sound, it was Judy crying. I quickly put on a night gown and my dressing robe and went out of the room. I opened up the door to Judy's room but she was still asleep. I could still hear the crying sound, but couldn't find the source of it. I checked every room, they were all empty except for the furniture. Puzzled I went back to our room and there it was. A cot with in it, a crying baby.

I woke up with a gasp, Ed looked at me "What is it?" I snuggled up to him, "Just a weird dream" and I gave a reassuring smile. "You want to tell me about it?" "No, it won't come true if I did" I winked. "So it was a nice weird dream?" "Yes... yes it was!". He kissed my forehead and pulled me closer.
I knew what it was, my due date was closing in, that is, if I were still pregnant. "It wasn't a premonition, it didn't feel like it. Just my mind playing tricks, right?" I reassured myself "Right!" And with that I fell asleep.

Thanks for reading! Any tips? Comment them below :)!