Chapter 1

"No no no-" I ran my hand through my hair before hurriedly dumping the contents of my bag onto the coffee stained table in front of me.

I had only been in Korea for 5 hours, yet I had somehow misplaced my phone. Not only that, but I had been stupid enough to keep my ID, hotel key card, and debit card inside the wallet style phone case. I sighed, only I would get myself into this predicament.

I'd come to the small coffee shop for some much needed caffeine, and to settle my grumbling stomach with a meal. The flight was very long, and I was very tired. To be fair, it wasn't surprising to lose something- I could barely keep my eyes open when I got off the plane. Though now I was definitely wide awake, fear coursing through my body as I looked for my phone.

I scanned through the items, placing them back into the bag one by one. I groaned. Great. I was in a foreign country-where I wasn't completely fluent in the language, now without a phone, ID, or my debit. I was thankful I had kept my cash in my room at the hotel- though I was now efficiently locked out of that. I glanced around the coffee shop, eyeing everyone in case it looked like anyone had found it. Most people seemed inconspicuous. I cursed myself for being careless, and went up to the counter.

"Hello." I murmured quietly in timid korean. "I lost my phone."

After giving a description of the phone to the employee as well as the hotels phone number, I ventured out of the shop, onto the busy street heading in the direction of the hotel. The walk wasn't very far, but each step was filled with worry.

I came to Korea for a three week vacation. I had been craving getting away for a while, but could never decide where to go. I had saved money for over a year just to be able to go on vacation- it was my first time traveling outside of my home country, Canada. I had been immersing myself in Korean culture for a year now, working hard at learning the language, and decided that it would be a perfect way to continue learning and get valuable practice in.

Not to mention my most favourite band, BTS, was meant to kick off a short tour in Seoul, Korea right before the end of my trip.

I stopped in front of the hotel doors, taking a deep breath in. I went over what to say in my head, worried about what they would do once I told them my key card was missing. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time it's happened, though I didn't think they would be happy.

I grasped the brass trimmed handle and pulled the door open, stepping inside.

The hotel was gorgeous, I was lucky enough to save just enough to afford a decent hotel. I was very glad I wouldn't have to stay anywhere run down or sketchy in a new country.

The lobby of the hotel screamed "fancy" and was exactly what I needed to feel like I truly was on a vacation. It was brightly lit, with golden brass accents. There were beautiful potted plants strewn about and seating areas that looked inviting.

I made my way up to the counter, running my lines through my head again.

Just as I got to the counter and opened my mouth to speak, one of the employees came over and spoke in accented English, "Hey! You checked in this morning, right?"

I nodded, thankful that she was fluent in both English and Korean. "Yes! About that- I was just going to tell you I lost-"

"Your phone?" The employee said, smiling. "I saw your ID in the pocket." She held out the device towards me.

"Oh thank god, I was worried."

She nodded, "Someone came by a few minutes ago to drop it off, they were in a rush so I never really saw who it was." She shrugged, "Glad it found its way back."

"Thank you," I said, bowing my head politely. I waved before joining the group waiting for the elevator.

When I finally got upstairs, I paused outside my door, pulling the magnetic strap off and opening my case. I sighed in relief seeing everything as it should be. I reached for the key card, pulling it out. I frowned as I noticed something fall to the floor from the same slot the card was in. I bent down to pick it up, and stood again unlocking the door and heading inside.

The hotel room was homey, and I was once again thankful to afford such a nice place to stay. Where most hotels had a single room with beds, this one extended to include a living room and a kitchen area. Staying in Korea for so long, I was able to get a good discount for renting the room for a longer visit.

I placed my phone down on the counter, looking back to the paper that had fallen. It was a pink sticky note, folded up.

I unfolded it, and read the messy hand-writing.

"Sorry I couldn't give this back to you in person, I was running late. Be careful, don't lose anything else!. -Y"

I read it over again, making sure I was translating correctly. Did this person see me leave my phone in the coffee shop? Why would they bring it back to the hotel if they were running late?

It was hard to tell who it might have been, as it was very prominent in Korean culture to wear masks that covered a large chunk of the face. It could have been any of the people in there.

I went to throw it in the trash, but decided last moment to place it onto the counter. I sighed, ready to take a nice nap, the caffeine not yet hitting me. I was exhausted. I changed into some comfier clothes, curling up on the couch and turning the television on.

I mindlessly watched some reruns of an English sitcom, not really paying attention. I had just started dozing off when I heard my phone ding. I glanced at it for a moment before deciding to ignore it, letting my eyes drift shut. A moment later, it dinged again.

"Seriously?"

I got up, going to get it from where I left it beside the note on the counter.

I unlocked it, then read the message, annoyance turning to confusion.

Hello.

I hope this phone found its way back to its owner?