Chapter 1: Test Kit

The young girl squatted over the school girl's toilet and with shaking hands opened the plastic wrapper and pulled out a pregnancy test kit. Taking a deep breath, she prayed silently "Please God, please...one line only....one line only...please." One line equal not pregnant and two lines equal pregnant. The girl knew her whole world would change based on the outcome of the pregnancy stick.

She held the tube shape pregnancy stick between her spread legs and urinated slowly. Once she was done, the young girl pulled the toilet seat down and gently lay the pregnancy stick flat on top of the toilet seat. She squeezed her eyes tight and counted to one thousand.

"Nine hundred and ninety-nine...and one thousand..." the girl whispered. Reluctantly she opened her eyes and picked the pregnancy stick up.

The young girl felt blood drained from her body, she was suddenly limp as if all the bones in her body melted. She couldn't stand, her heart was pounding like thunder and the only thought that passed through her brain was... PREGNANT...SEVENTEEN years old and pregnant!

Somebody knocked on the door and shouted,

"Ariel Lin! What are you doing in there? I need to pee!"

"ARIEL!"

Ariel managed to open the door and the two girls stared at each other.

"You look like you're sick...what happen?" Ella asked suddenly concern. Ariel shook her head wordlessly; she was still too numb from shock. Ella cocked her head at her friend suspiciously and noticed the stick her friend was holding.

"What's this?" she asked and grabbed it from Ariel's hand. Two lines? What does this mean? Ella glanced at the pregnancy kit still on the floor and then at Ariel's pale face. Her eyes widen and she gasped out loud and whispered,

"You're pregnant!"

Again Ariel nodded wordlessly.

"How?" Ella asked, and then she smacked her forehead.

"You don't even have a boyfriend!" Ella said pointing her finger at her friend accusingly.

Ella frowned...who...? Oh my god! It couldn't be!!!

"Ariel, please tell me you did not lose your virginity on that blind date! Please!" Ella grabbed her friend and tried to shake her out of her stupor.

The hard shake must have woken Ariel; she suddenly wrapped her arms around Ella and started crying...as if it was the end of the world for her.

"You don't even know him! Why did you drink so much that night? I know your parents argued and your mom got beat up again but...you didn't...you shouldn't have...oh Ariel...why?" Ella held her friend in her arms, patting her gently on the back.

"You have to tell him you're pregnant with his baby. Tell him he's the baby's daddy. Tell him TOMORROW!!" Ella lifted Ariel's face and forced her friend to look at her.

Ariel nodded but wondered how to tell him when she didn't even know where to find him. It was a blind date...an average girl from a public school on a blind date with a rich boy from one of the most prestigious school in Taipei.

It was just one night of fun...a night where she escaped from reality...and sought comfort in someone else's arms...a stranger's arms. But this wasn't suppose to happen, she wasn't supposed to get pregnant...it was her first time...