18

I actually enjoyed writing this chapter haha apart from the fact that I'm writing at 11:20 at night just to update wattpad. Now you guys know that I love youu (:

-

e  i  g  h  t  e  e  n

Katniss' pov

I've been awake searching for food for the past half an hour, and all I could find was a rabbit. Kind of pathetic since I'm in the middle of a forest, but they probably didn't put many animals in here so we would starve. I had to walk for five minutes to actually find any of the green forest, because our area had turned to ash.

Oh and no water.

Although one of my arms is crippled I've still been able to throw knives-which sucks, since I don't have a perfect aim.

I walk back to our hiding spot, which is a very small cave with moss dropping down over the opening. Rory is awake, staring into space.

"I have food." I cut up the rabbit and cook it over a fire.

"Who died last night?" He asks.

"Don't know. I think it was during when we were running away from the fire." I'm still wondering on where the careers got to, and if they got hurt.

"Is their any way to avoid the bird which attached Oregon? I'm sure there's more out there," I ask.

Rory sighs. "I don't know. I think we're just going to have to prey that none of them attack us."

Nothing else happens during the day. We ran out of clean cloths to wrap around my arm, which is okay because it has stopped bleeding. The wounds are open and could get infected, which isn't good. My arm is covered in yellow pus and flaking skin. Yea I know- gross.

Rory set a few snares which he managed to catch 2 rabbits and a quail.

-

No one died yesterday, but I have a feeling that the game makers have come up with something big for today.
With our state at the moment we would probably die if a group of people attacked us, because Rory caught a fever overnight. We have no water and I'm starting to feel light headed.

"Katniss, how the hell are we going to last another six days? After four you have a destroyed arm and I have a fever, and we still have no water," Rory huffs.

"I have no idea, maybe it's best if we started walking to find water because we're obviously not going to last another day without it," I say.

"True. Let's get going."

We put the fire out and shove all our items in our bags, and walk out of the cave. This area of the forest has been burnt to a crisp. Most trees have disappeared to ash, and all that's left is a flat, black plain.

"It's not exactly a great hiding spot now, let's move."

We creep through the forest, jumping at ever sound we hear. We trek until the sun starts to go down, when we finally find water. The lake isn't that big which is good, so hopefully it doesn't drag too much attention from others.

I slowly sink my arm into the water, clenching my teeth shut as the pain ripples throughout my body. I force myself to hold it under for about a minute and then bring it back up. I soak all the bloody towels in the water to clean them- in a way.

It's quite humid so I take my pants off and go for a swim. Even though my arm is killing me I bare it.

Rory joins me after a while and we relax in the water for a while, then sit on the rocks to dry off. As the sun starts to go down, they still haven't said if anyone has died today. I guess no one has.

We fall asleep staring up at the starry, pink sky.

-

"Shh, you're going to wake them with that racket."

"Shut up and help me pull this guy up."

I'm tied up. My back is against a tree and I'm on the ground. There are two people talking and I can tell you, they're not Rory and I. We've been captured by a girl and a boy, but I don't know who they are.

For the past few minutes I've sat here, thinking of what big idiots Rory and I were. We fell asleep on the ground and didn't bother hide anywhere.

Now we're stuck here with no way to get out, but I might as well let these people know I'm awake.

I open my eyes, and see a girl and boy trying to pull Rory up into an upright position on the tree next to me. I can tell he's awake though, because he does this weird twitching thing when he's nervous.

All that's near me is a stick which they seemed to of sharpened. We're still at the lake but they've set up base here now. I undo the knot on the rope which they tied right in front of me (idiots) and pick up the stick without making any sound.

They don't have any weapons so I pounce. I kick the girl, sending her flying and wrestle to the ground with the boy, until I poke his eye with the sharp stick.

He screams and covers it with his hand, as blood oozes out of it. Rory has already untied himself and is swinging punches at the girl.

I get off the boy and run over to my bag and pull out two knives.

"If you surrender we'll let you go, but if you don't... you'll be dead," I growl.

Rory also has a knife pointing at the girl. They walk towards each other with their hands in the air.

"Okay we surrender," the boy muffles. He quickly covers his eye again and the girl holds him up. Rory and I lower our weapons.

"So what are your names and what district are you from?" Rory asks.

"We're from district 9 and my name is Annabel. This is Vick," the girl says quietly.

"That's my brother's name," Rory mumbles, gripping his knife hard until his knuckles turn white.

"Okay look, we'll let you go of you give us all your supplies. You can take your food though, you'll probably need it."

I grab their bags and throw their food out, leaving various creams and a sleeping bag inside.

"Now leave, unless you're looking for a fight!" I yell. They grab their food and run as fast as they can.

"Well shit, that was weird. Why did you let them keep their food though?" Rory asks me, confused.

"I don't want to leave them to die, they weren't bad kids. They were just scared," I say.

"Yea whatever. Let's pick a good hiding spot this time, yea?"

We both laugh and for the first time, we agree that that's the most important.

-

Next update will be soon,

kat xx