Just A Little Scare

Please be aware:
- This is a horror oneshot. If you don't like, then don't read.
- Every myth, locations and websites in this story are fictional. If anything actually exists in real life, it's a coincidence .

If you ever want to scare your friend, do it when it's bright day! And if you need a myth, make it up yourself!
If you don't, it will end up in disaster!
Believe me... I've tried it.
That's why I need to write it all down now. To warn other people from doing it.
And if they haven't learnt anything from that, they can just ride a bike to Bardenroad in the middle of the night themselves.
There's surely someone who misses company...

Beca's P.O.V.
It's Friday the 13th and we've run out of cucumber! What do I do? Chloe's staying the night and I promised her to make cucumber water. She really loves cucumber. It's so weird but I can't say I don't love her for it.
Now i understand why Friday the 13th is seen as an unlucky day. Should I text her that she has to arrive later so I could manage to buy some more from the grocery? No. That would take too much time. Then we wouldn't have time to watch Friday The 13th before it was too late in the evening. My dad says we have to go to bed before 10pm. It's so annoying. We're not children anymore, we've just turned 15!
Anyway. What should I do? We could watch the movie and go the grocery afterwards. Then we could make cucumber water to the next day. Yes, that's a good idea! Maybe I could pretend I randomly found a scary story from the internet, that I'd already found beforehand. Then i could give her a little scare! That would be fun. Time to do some research.
I open my laptop and type: Old myths and legends from Barden. A dozen of random articles appear. A witch in Barden - Watch the fantastic role play students from Barden University made. Nope, not scary at all. Murder on Bardenroad: Read everything about the scary case here. Perfect! I click on the article and read it. It's about 13 years old:

A week ago, early in the morning, a corpse was found in the ditch of Bardenroad, some distance off the local Grocery. The corpse was an old woman in her 70's. The woman wore a torn nightgown. There have been found several smaller cuts from a knife all around the chest, and a huge in her left side. The corpse had laid there about 7 hours. The cops assume she was going on a late night walk when she got killed.

Now that was a scary one! There was even a picture of the crime scene. I could really give Chloe a good scare with this. But first, I'll need to find a few things...

Chloe's P.O.V.
Why couldn't anything fit into my bag? It's so typical! I either hang my sleeping bag and sleeping mat on my handlebars, or don't bring anything else with me at all. Of course I have to go with the first one, because I need to bring more stuff with me. I just have to ride my bike very slowly and carefully.

After a very long and slow bike ride, I finally arrive at Beca's house.
"Finally you're here." Beca greets me with a massive hug and we walk to her room. "Why are you late?"
"Sorry, my bag was too small, so i had to hang my sleeping bag and and sleeping mat on my handlebars. Is was so difficult!" I explain to her.
"That's so typical of you." She laughs at me.
"Hey, it's not funny!" I say with false offense and playfully smack her arm. She quickly gives back, and soon enough we're having a great tickle fight.
"Okay, I've had enough. I'VE HAD ENOUGH!" Beca screams when I've got her pinned down.
"I win." I say smugly.
"Fine!" She caved. "But we should start the movie now, or else we won't make it to the grocery before it closes."
"Why do we have to go to the grocery?"
"We've run out of cucumber."
"Okay." I shrug.
She puts the movie onto her TV, and we snuggle together.

After 1 and a half hour the credits appear on the screen.
"That was a good one!" I say, only slightly terrified.
"It was okay." Beca shrugs. "Mostly just people getting murdered."
"Why are you always so critical when it comes to movies?" I ask.
"Horror movies are really predictable! Half of the characters either get killed, get possessed or get involved in with others being killed or possessed. Plus they never seem to know what a good decision actually is."
"Okay, that's mostly true." I laugh. "Shall we go to the grocery now?"
"Yeah. Go get your bike, I'll get mine too."
"Alright boss." I joke. She rolls her eyes at me.
"Dad, we're going now. We'll be back in maybe 15 minutes." She yells across the house.
"Alright, be careful! It's getting dark quickly." He yells back.
"We will!"
I put on my jacket while Beca is scrolling through her phone.
"Hey Chloe. Before we go you have to see this creepy article i found before you came." She says eagerly.
"What's it about?" I ask.
"You see, I saw this video where they mentioned a website that shows you all the creepy stuff that's happened in your town, if you type in your town. And because I got curious, I of course had to try. So I typed in Barden, and then this article appeared. It says that about 13 years ago an older woman got murdered at night in the ditch of Bardenroad. The road we have to follow to go to the grocery. Her body and nightgown was filled with small knife cuts and a big one in her left side. Some say that she still haunts Bardenroad every night to find her murder!"
"Ew, that's nasty!" I scrunch up my face. "Are you sure there aren't other ways to go to the grocery?"
"Nope. And that's the most creepy thing about all this!" She says dramatically, with a smug face. "Still wanna go? Out in the dark?"
"Yes. You're just trying to scare me. I don't believe you, let's go." I laugh, even though I'm pretty scared. But I can't let her have that victory!

As we pass the the sign that says Bardenroad I can't help but think, that I really hope what Beca said isn't true. Please don't let it be true! Imagine if it's true. Then maybe there will suddenly stand a dead woman in front of us! What if-
"Aarrrrh!" Beca suddenly yells. I stop my bike and look back.
"What happened?" I yell. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah I'm fine. I just accidentally rode down the ditch. Can you come and pull m- Hey, what's happening?! Help Chloe! Someone's pulling my arm!"
Oh no, what do I do? I have to help her!
"I'm coming Beca!"
"Hurry up! I'm- mmpf, mmpf."
What's happening? Why didn't she just go up the ditch? Who's pulling her arm? Who's holding her mouth shut? There's only one answer. The murdered woman! She must have caught Beca! But why?
Suddenly I hear an old and hoarse voice from the ditch:
"Go away. You have nothing to do here. What are you doing on my road? Trying to kill me? Well you can't. I'm already dead!" It sounded exactly as an old woman.
"Help me! I'm being pulled across the field!" Beca yells.
This is not good! She's pulling her away somewhere so no one can hear her!
I throw away my bike and run all I can after Beca's silhouette. Weirdly it was only her silhouette I saw. Not the one from the old woman. That's probably because shes a ghost or something.
I follow Beca's silhouette all the way to the old barn in the middle of the field. I then see her disappear behind it. It's a trap. The old woman can stand just behind the corner, ready to attack me! But I have to save Beca.
I tiptoe closer and suddenly I see light behind the corner. I stop to avoid making any noise, but then the light approach me. I freeze. Round the corner comes a glowing figure. Not just any figure. The old lady. Just as Beca described her. Old tore nightgown filled with blood spots. And then a little extra thing Beca didn't mention. She had a giant knife poking out from her left side, right under the armpit.
She approaches me with a murderous look in her eyes.
"How dare you come here and disturb me?" She hisses, with a much more convincing voice than the one from the ditch. "You're gonna die!" She hisses. She then pulls out the giant knife from her side. The blood pours out from the open wound. I still can't move. I continue to stand frozen on the spot.
"I'm gonna kill you, just like I got killed. Then it's your turn to haunt this place, until someone goes out here again. I can finally continue living!" She laughs the most terrifying laughter I've ever heard. It's first when she pokes me with the knife I can move again. I turn around and run away from the old woman. I run all the way across the field, towards my bike. But suddenly the ground goes down. The ditch! How could I forget?! I hoist myself back up again, look up and scream. The old woman! She's right in front of me! But she doesn't look like herself. The nightgown and the face are different. And she has no knife. Then i hear Beca's laugh.
"Gotcha! You should've seen yourself!" She looks as pleased with herself as she can be.
"That was NOT funny!" I look at her strictly. "Where did you even get that giant knife from?"
"Knife? What are you talking about?" She frowns.
"The one you had behind the barn, you know. You were glowing and looked completely different."
She looks at me worried. "Chloe I ran around the barn and back here. I don't have a knife and I'm not glowing. Why didn't you follow me?"
"You... You stopped at the corner. Then you threatened to kill me and i ran back here." I say scared.
"Chloe I've never threatened you. What are you talking about?" I can see she's getting scared too. But then i see the light again. It's approaching us from behind her.
"Tha- that... thing!" I point behind her. My hand is shaking uncontrollably.
She turns around and her eyes widens.
"I haven't made that." She says terrified.
"Is it what I think it is?" I ask, while clinging to her.
"Y-yes it is." She stutters. "It's a ghost!"