4. Anonymous

It was my last hour, and luckily I wasn't closing tonight, so I would be able to bike to the mechanic just in time.

"Have a nice day," I faked a smile.

As I gave the lady her receipt, someone at the door caught my eye. It was him again, and he made eye contact with me as he came in. My heart began to beat faster and I couldn't understand why.

He made his way over to the jazz section, looking through records as I watched. He took his time, taking his sunglasses in his teeth as he took out a vinyl from the bunch and eyed it. I gulped as he began to walk towards me.

"Find everything okay?" I nervously took the record and checked it out. He towered over me as he leaned over the counter watching my every move. He made me unbelievably nervous.

It surprised me to see it was a Roy Ayers record. He didn't look like the type.

"Y'all need to update the jazz section."

I kept my head down, unsure of how to react.

"Cash or card—,"

"Card."

I bagged the item. I handed him the receipt.

"I'll be waiting outside when you're off."

I looked at him confused.

"I-I don't understand?"

"Just don't keep me waiting."

Before I could say anything, he walked out. I was in shock, I had no words. I finished cleaning up the store, anxiously waiting for my shift to be off. I didn't know what to expect; and it didn't feel like I had a choice either.

...

I grabbed my bag as I made my way out, anxiously looking around to see if I could get a glimpse of him. I looked down at my phone, contemplating if I should text Frank to come get me instead.

"Nadine."

I looked up, he pulled up to the curb in the same vehicle.

I walked over, hesitantly opening the passenger seat.

"I need to go to the mechanic to get my car back—,"

"I know."

I turned to look at him, confused as he drove off.

We stopped at a red light as a call came in. He answered it and the car's bluetooth automatically put it on speaker.

"Are you on the way?" The voice on the phone sounded like an older white man.

"Ten minutes." He said.

"Great! the wife and kids just left. I'll be waiting."

He chuckled a little.

"Imma see you."

He hung up.

"What the fuck?" I asked.

"I have to go make a delivery. It'll be fast."

I didn't want any part of whatever the fuck he was doing. I began to feel panicked.

We were at another red light.

"You know what? I can get there myself," I began to pull the handle, just then—the door locked.

I turned to look at him again.

"You're not getting out the car."

His tone was menacing and his eyes were kept on the road.

I breathed out, my heart in my throat. I sat back into the seat, crossing my arms.

We drove into a rich neighborhood, the atmosphere was different. The houses were huge—It had been a long time since I stepped into Beverly Hills. It was gorgeous. I wondered what we were doing here. What He was doing here.

We pulled into the driveway of a huge mansion-like home. Luxury cars were parked out front.

"Don't move. I'll be right back."

He stuffed his pockets with something that I couldn't tell what it was.

I watched as he jogged over to the door, knocking just as a suspected older white man opened the door. They greeted each other, and he handed him a package. I watched as the old man placed a wad of cash into his hands. My mouth fell open. What the fuck?

He walked back, unlocking the door. He didn't even say anything; I didn't even bother to ask. I noticed we were driving back to the mechanic's shop where my car was. The car ride was quiet, but he played music this time. I didn't know how to react to the whole situation. I didn't want to ask any questions either; not after what I had seen.

We got to the shop.

I began to get out as he pulled my arm back in.

He began to take something out of his pocket. I watched nervously.

He shook the keys to my car in my face.

"It's all paid for."

He put the keys in my hand.

"What?"

"It's all yours."

I shook my head.

"I can't. How much was it? I'll pay you back–"

He ignored me, taking my phone out of my hands as he began to type his number inside. He returned it, starting his car nonchalantly.

"Text me when you get home."

I got out, closing the door as I watched him drive off.

Was I in a state of shock? amazement? I wasn't sure what the fuck was happening.

I looked down at my phone and the new contact that was placed in it.

Tyler.