23. Secrets

Next Day.

I greeted a customer as they came in to return something, Betty leaving just as I got off my lunch break.

"I think I've seen you around?" the guy spoke as I closed the register.

"Uh, I don't know..." I scrunched my eyebrows.

"Aren't you in math with Professor Hendricks?"

My mind searched for a familiar face—suddenly a lightbulb lit up.

"Oh shit! yeah, you sit in the back right?" I smiled.

"Mhmm. I'm Daniel, by the way. You been missing class huh?"

"Yeah, a little. I got shit going on so..."

Just then the door bell rang as someone walked in; Tyler.

"You should give me your number so we can study sometime."

He took out his phone and handed it to me. Tyler came from behind him as he took it from his hands instead and typed something in it.

"You got my number now, so you gotta get through me first," Tyler handed him back the phone.

The guy looked up at Tyler confused. T was a tad taller than he was.

"Hey babe." Tyler looked over at me nonchalantly as I bit my lip. I felt bad for Daniel.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you had a—,"

"Boyfriend. Now you know." Tyler interrupted.

"Um, I'll see you around class then." The boy looked over at me, then at Tyler cautiously.

Tyler glared at him as he walked out.

"Please don't kill him. He didn't know," I laughed.

"It's funny to fuck with them though," He fixed his bucket hat. "But forreal, stop working and you don't have to deal with any of this shit anymore."

"I told you I don't want your money," I moved past him as I fixed up a record stand.

"But you'll help me all you want huh?" He walked up behind me.

"Because you asked me to."

"Then why can't I?"

I sighed as I made my way back behind the register. I realized I had left my journal open under it. I closed it shut quickly, but Tyler saw.

"What is that?"

I shrugged.

Instantly, he reached over the counter as he grabbed it before I could react.

"Tyler!"

He went through the pages as I watched him. It was no use trying to get stuff back; I learned that along the way. Tyler always got what he wanted out of me whether I liked it or not.

"Film ideas?" I looked over at me.

"It's stupid."

"The ideas are original Nadine. Like it's really fucking good."

He flipped through another page as he read it intently.

He smirked at the page as I realized he had probably come across the one inspired by him.

"You wanna make a movie about me?"

"Inspired by you." I emphasized, rolling my eyes.

"You know I'm friends with people in the entertainment industry. I can get you something."