33. Birthday Surprise

Two days passed since I talked to him.

Thank god it was Friday though, a day completely off.

I put on a hoodie—stopping myself when I heard a familiar voice downstairs.

Was I dreaming?

I walked downstairs.

"Look who came over to bring me coffee. So thoughtful," my mom looked over at me.

Tyler leaned by the door frame.

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What're you doing here?" my voice was soft. I was scared he'd run away with an sudden movements.

"I was on my way to a meeting. I thought I'd say hi to your mom. Haven't seen her in a while." Him even speaking to me so nonchalantly after everything made me nervous. Something was up.

"Oh stop it!" My mom smiled at him again.

Why wasn't he treating me like a ghost?

He began to walk across the kitchen to get to me.

"Oh and uh, you forgot this at the house."

He placed his house key in my palm. The same key I took off my keychain.

I was still trying to process everything.

"Anyway Mrs. Williams I'll see you soon. I gotta go," he gave her a slight hug.

I followed him as he made his way outside.

I closed the door behind me.

"Please tell me I'm not imagining things right now."

He turned around, towering over me again. I didn't know what to expect.

"How did it feel?"

I bit my lip, unsure of how to respond. I didn't know. I couldn't find the right words of how fucked up everything had been.

Instead I stayed silent, my eyes tracing my shoes.

I watched as he got into his car.

"He's so sweet isn't he?" My mom asked.

I closed the door behind me, nodding.

I knew this was going to keep my head going in circles for the rest of the day. The not knowing what he wanted or what he was going to do next kept me tense all day.

...

Next day.

It was saturday morning when Frank and my mom surprised me as I walked down the stairs.

"Happy Birthday!" They smiled in unison.

"Oh my god, I literally forgot." I laughed, looking around at all the balloons that surrounded me.

"How do you forget your birthday?" Frank rolled his eyes.

"I don't know, I'm off today." I shook it off, eyeing the small cake on the table.

"Y'all know you didn't have to do this."

"We do and we will!" My mom hugged me.

"You got something waiting for you outside." Frank spoke, grinning.

"What?"

"Go look!" My mom pushed me towards the door, more excited than I was.

I opened the door, scared as to what I was going to encounter.

A brand new black Mercedes Benz was parked in our driveway.

"What? What is this?" I turned to look at my mom.

"Tyler! he told me to keep it a secret yesterday when he came to visit!" She went back inside and quickly came back with something in her hand. "He left this. Don't worry I haven't opened it up yet." She smiled in anticipation.

"Damn, that nigga really do love you." Frank nudged me.

I bit my lip as I opened the envelope; the keys were inside.

I unlocked it, opening up the car as I sat inside still in shock. It smelled like fresh new leather. Fuck. I was still so astonished.

I took out a small note that came in the envelope.

my place tonight at 9.
happy birthday.

Tyler

I immediately hid the note in my pocket as my mom and Frank opened the door to see the car's interior.

"You think the fucking ring is coming up?" Frank laughed as he looked around the interior.

...

It was almost 9 as I drove my new car into Tyler's driveway. I felt so nervous, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was scared.
He was so unpredictable and I still didn't know how to read him.

"Tyler?" I shut the door behind me.

He's nowhere to be found.
I sigh as I walked up the stairs to the room—I'm surprised. There's a box with a red tie on the bed. I squinted my eyes as I read the note on it.

put this on. hope you like it.

I opened the box. It's lingerie from a french brand I couldn't even pronounce. I held it up in front of me; a red see though lacy one piece. I began to undress, wanting to see if it fit right.

I looked at myself in the mirror, it looked amazing.

I bit my lip, hoping to surprise Tyler even if this wasn't what he was expecting for the night.

"Nadine?"

I heard the door shut downstairs as he made his way upstairs; his footsteps getting closer.

He placed his phone on the drawer next to him as he eyed me.

"How is it?" I asked.

"It's even better on you."

He came over, his lips grazing my neck without touching me. He kissed my shoulder.

"Did you like the car?" he breathed into my ear.

"How'd you know it was my dream car?"

"I just do. Happy birthday."

I smile as he kissed me again. I pulled away before we could get anymore intimate.

"Tyler we need to talk about what happened. I thought you were done-,"

"Don't bring it up."

"But I need to know."

He shut me up as he kissed me again.

"Here." He grabbed the black blindfold and put it on me.

"What're you doing?" I let out a laugh.

He took my hand as I felt my way towards another room. It's a room I haven't been to before. I'm confused.

He guided me on the bed. I laid down; I could hear him undressing.

"Tyler?"

"Mhmm."

"Can I take this off?"

"Not yet."

I could feel him take my wrists as something leathery wrapped around them. He secured both of my wrists onto the headboard of the bed.

"Tyler what the fuck—,"

"Just relax." I felt his lips press up against my ear. "You owe me."

Goosebumps rose on my skin.