36. Vixen

"I don't want her near you."

Tyler turned to look at me, a small smile creeped up.

"I'm not kidding," I reiterated.

"I'm not into her anymore."

"She's obviously trying to get you back. You don't see it?"

He watched me as we drove back to his place after the cafe.

"Nadine I'm not—,"

"The way she said you looked good? How she reminded you that you were obsessed with her? The fuck? Why is she even bringing that up?"

"Baby, you just jealous." His right hand landed on my thigh for reassurance.

I rolled my eyes.

"I want a different lawyer." I crossed my arms.

"She already got us the court date for this week. She's a good lawyer Nadine. I need her on my side to get this shit over with."

I sighed.

"When are you meeting her again?"

"Tomorrow."

"I'm coming."

He looked over at me chuckling.

...

Tyler picked me up after work to go talk to the lawyer. I wasn't going to let her try anything with Tyler. Her flirting was way too fucking obvious.

We got to the same coffee shop, it was less crowded than it usually was.

She was already sitting by one of the tables in the back.

"Hey," Tyler hugged her lightly. She smiled, eyeing me as soon as she took her eyes off of him.

"Oh, I didn't know you'd be joining us," she shook my hand.

"I asked her to come." Tyler interrupted. I knew he didn't want to fuck anything up.

"Oh," she smiled lightly and looked down at the file of papers.

They began to talk about the case, what Tyler should say, what he shouldn't, among other things. It was a good thirty minutes before I excused myself.

I went to the bathroom, looking at myself in the mirror. Maybe I was just making shit up in my head. Maybe she wasn't really into him. God, I was literally becoming him.

I was taking on his obsessive characteristics again. It was jealousy, but fuck, how couldn't I help it? Tyler had everything, plus he was attractive and charming. It wasn't the first time he'd turned down any girl.

Not to mention Danielle's status. She's up there in Tyler's same tax bracket; she's pretty, a well known lawyer, too. Tyler and her even had a past together. There's no competition there. I was literally just a college student at this point. I felt insecure again.

I made my way out.

I watched as she placed her hand atop of Tyler's arm, both laughing at something that was said. Fuck. He looked so happy.

I took a seat, Tyler noticing me.

"We were just talking about how fucked up I was."

"His mom used to literally beg me to watch him and make sure he was going to all his classes." She turned back to look at Tyler. "You were so fucking crazy," she laughed again.

"That time we both skipped class to go to that stupid concert, fuck, we were so stupid," Tyler chuckled.

I smiled along with them.