Chapter Two

The conversation was lively around the Bywood table that night. Across from me, Philippa chattered about her visit with her betrothed, glaring at Jane whenever our oldest sister teased her. Further down the table, Frederick Castleton, my brother-in-law, carried on a conversation about recent political developments with my father.

"Luke, you're quiet tonight," Mother said when there was a lull in the voices. There was an expression of concern on her face. In the past few weeks, she had made a great effort to be at the table for the evening meal, no doubt to keep an eye on us all. "Is all well?"

Such a statement was a guarantee that I would find myself the focus of everyone else's gaze. "I confess I've had a great deal on my mind, Mama," I said honestly. Mother was observant enough she would have guessed at the reason behind my distraction. "I believe a change is in order for my future."

From the way Mother's eyes lit up, I knew she had her own ideas as to what change I was referring to. "What plans have you devised now, Luke?" Frederick asked with interest. "Jane was just telling me that you had no plans."

Why was I not surprised to hear my sister had discussed me with her husband? "Mr. Ward has extended an invitation for me to join him on a journey to Bath," I said, stating the matter in the most simple way possible. "And I have accepted."

One would think I had announced some criminal intentions from the way my family gasped and stared at me. "Lucas!" Philippa exclaimed, her blue eyes as wide as the plate in front of her. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean that Ward and I will be traveling to Bath within the week. We shall be away as soon as our plans have been finalized."

"John Ward? That rogue?" Jane asked, her tone scandalized. "Whyever did you agree to that?"

I would never have expected such a judgemental statement to leave my sister's lips. "Ward is no rake, Jane. Indeed, he has stood by me when I believed those of my own family to have turned against me." It was an unfair statement, and cruel to remind everyone of how they had believed I was a highwayman.

"Why to Bath?" Mother asked, a concerned frown furrowing her brow. "I had expected you to visit a different part of the country."

She thought I would follow Miss Darkin as my sister had suggested the day before. "Well, I have never been to Bath," I said simply. "Many in society chose to pass the summer there, so it cannot be a dreadful place, and I have missed exploring a new place as I did while on the Continent."

"Lucas, this is not what we discussed earlier," Father said. He too had a frown on his face. "More travel? Is that really the right decision for you?"

"Indeed. I am certain that Bath will provide the right kind of atmosphere for me to think about my future as you all have encouraged me to do."

My words caused Mother to move her gaze to Father and I could see she was not pleased. "Come, girls," was all that she said, though, as she rose from her chair. "Let us retire to the drawing room."

Jane and Philippa both had mutinous expressions on their faces as they obeyed. Once the door was shut, Frederick glanced between us and cleared his throat. "I've been to Bath," he said, clearly choosing his words with care. "I think you will enjoy the time you spend there, Luke. I know I did."

"I expect I shall," I said as Butler gave the signal for the dishes to be cleared. "Ward has been several times, apparently, and was emphatic about the enjoyments that can be found there."

Father held his silence until the brandy was set out and the door was shut behind the servants. "What do you really know about this John Ward, Lucas?" he asked, getting straight to the point. "You must know that his reputation is—"