Chapter Nineteen

Much to my surprise, I was not turned away the moment the door opened. The butler invited me in and directed me to the drawing room where Mrs. Forester was holding court. Before I could reach that lady to make the appropriate greeting, I was intercepted by Miss Forester.

"Is it true?" she asked immediately. Her white gown swirled around her ankles as she came to a halt in front of me. She brought to mind a vengeful goddess seeking information.

Given how many days it had been since I had seen her, I hesitated. She could be asking after so many different things. Did she wish to know if it was true Ward had been married and had a daughter? Was she desirous to know if Ward earned his way in the world by his wits and skill at cards? Or had she heard about...

"We were informed that Conrad Ingram was murdered," she said bluntly. "And that the gentleman in charge if looking into the matter has questioned you and Mr. Ward."

"Yes, that much is true," I said. I was not surprised she had heard of it. Who in society would not have? Matrons, debutantes, and gentlemen alike all loved gossip.

"And?" There was a great deal of impatience in her tone. "What have you to do with Mr. Ingram? Were you friends? Enemies? Why were you singled out?"

Her indignation made me laugh. "We knew the man, though we were not close friends," I said as she glowered at me. "Mr. Appleton was merely speaking to us because it is his responsibility to do so."

"Then, Mr. Ward is not under suspicion?"

Her concern for my friend made me think there was still hope for a future for them both. If Ward managed to avoid getting blamed for the murder. "I believe Mr. Appleton is being thorough.

He has made no accusations."

Yet.

My answer made Miss Forester frown. "But that tells me nothing I don't already know. If you were not friends with the man, why should you be singled out to be questioned in front of everyone? It makes everyone think there is a reason."

How could I reassure and calm her when I had the same feelings? "You know Ward and I played a game of cards. It was Mr. Appleton's opinion that the outcome of that evening could have angered us. All will come outright, Miss Forester," I said, seeing her brother coming toward us. "That is all I can say at this time."

"Sarah, what do you think Grandmother will say if she sees you monopolizing Mr. Bywood so completely?" James Forester said, his tone reproving. "At least allow him into the room.

She raised her chin. "I do not have to explain myself to you. You would not understand even if I did." She spun and stalked away.

"I honestly don't know when she learned to be so dramatic," Forester said with a sigh. He shook his head and offered his hand. "Welcome, Bywood. It's good to see you."

"The pleasure is mine," I said, shaking his hand. "I will admit, I was surprised by the invitation."

"My grandmother insisted."

And wasn't that a terrifying thought. Why would the woman who had disapproved of me from our first conversation go out of her way to invite me? If anything, I had expected her to shun me for being associated with a murder. Also, I couldn't forget I was a friend to the man her granddaughter was interested in despite the family's opinions.

So why was I there?

"I find that rather alarming," I said honestly. "I have not been a favorite of your grandmother, and I have not done anything to change that. At least, nothing that I am aware of."

"I cannot claim to understand my grandmother's thinking." Forester shook his head. "I'd say go speak to her and get it over with, but I see she is speaking to Colonel Mayfield. It wouldn't do to interrupt them."