Chapter Eleven

Dumbfounded, I stared at him. Daughter? Ward had a daughter. When had he been married? Where was his wife? He cleared his throat and looked down at his daughter. She was staring at me with large blue eyes.

"Oh. Of course. I am delighted to make your acquaintance, Miss Ward," I said, making an exaggerated bow.

Isabella hesitated for a moment and then made a wobbly curtsy. "Mr. Bywood," she said with the kind of formality I had heard from children who were nervous. She turned her attention to her father. "How long will you be here, Papa?"

"I don't know, Bella. At least tonight. Now, go along with Mrs. Turner," Ward said with a smile. With a pout, Isabella did as she was told. Ward took a deep breath and faced me. "Well. I take it you have questions."

I did. Too many to work out which one was the most important. "You never said you had a daughter."

"I haven't been hiding it, if that's what you're trying to imply," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "But, yes, I don't make it widely known to everyone as I don't consider it any of their business."

If it wasn't widely known, who did know? "Have you told Miss Forester?"

Ward narrowed his eyes. "I think you know very well that I haven't. We have not reached the point where I think she would be willing to hear it."

"Well, don't you think she should know what a relationship with you would entail? A daughter is not a small or insignificant matter, you know. And, I presume, the fact that you were married previously."

After a moment, Ward gave a nod to concede the point. "Yes, I was married before. Her name was Annabelle Hightower, and she died giving birth to Isabella."

"If Isabella looks anything like her mother, she must have been a beauty."

Ward's face twisted with a grimace. "I believe Isabella has her mother's eyes. Time will tell if she resembles Annabelle or her father. She's three years old now."

The vague statement gave me pause. Was Ward not the child's father? I had not given the child a serious study, but at first glance, there was a resemblance to my friend as they both had dark hair. However, it seemed impolite to press for more information.

"Well, this has been a day of surprises," I said, glancing towards Blossom Manor. "Should I expect the owner of the estate to come and demand what we are doing here?"

"Not at all."

"How can you be so certain?"

My friend's lips stretched into a grin. "Because I am the owner of Blossom Manor," he said.

Ward owned Blossom Manor? He was in possession of an estate? He rented it out and left his daughter in the gatehouse? I blinked, trying to straighten out all the details. "That...I didn't expect. And you tried to tell me you wouldn't be able to advise me about an estate!"

"Bywood, I have no alternative but to rent out the manor. You know I live on my winnings. That should give you some idea of how impossible it would be to see to the needs to Blossom Manor with only that income."

I shook my head to clear it. Had Ward's father gone into debt, necessitating such drastic measures by my friend? Questions for another time. "Well, it will be a relief not to fear being removed from the property. The way things have turned out, it seemed likely, you know."

"No, the only thing to fear would be if Mrs. Campbell discovers we are here. Her oldest daughter is sixteen now."

I shuddered at the idea of being chased by such a young girl. "I take it you've been victim to an enthusiastic approach."