Epilogue

I'd expected Ward to travel with me and take the opportunity to visit his daughter, but he declined. There were, according to him, plenty of card games to be had in Brighton. He didn't see a need to hide in the country just yet and he was getting close to paying off the debt that hung over him.

And as the sooner the debt was paid, the sooner he would marry Miss Forester, I didn't try to persuade him.

When I arrived at Pearsend, there were signs of life about the place.

Pennyworth's nephew, Frederick Walton, couldn't have been more than a year or two older than I. He was eager to show me the plan he had devised to see Pearsend restored to glory—or at least, a version of glory for the old place. His enthusiasm was exhausting to listen to but I was glad of it all the same.

As soon as we arrived, Pennyworth took up all the responsibilities of a butler on top of what I needed as my valet. I think he rather liked being in charge. Since he didn't request any additional pay for taking on these extra duties, I let him take charge and it was he who hired on the rest of the staff.

First, there was the widow who would serve as housekeeper and cook, Mrs. Wallace. The wage she earned was a bit lower than what other women might have earned. However, since she was allowed to have her five children on the estate with her, she had agreed to the arrangement. Her meals, simple though they were, were some of the best I had eaten since I left Bywood Manor.

Under Mrs. Wallace were two young women had been hired on as maids. Lizzie remained in her father's cottage and walked over every morning, while the other, Molly, had a room in the house. They worked hard, and even I had to admit that the interior of Pearsend House had shown improvement in the short time they had been there.

A gardener, an older man with a limp, had gone to work on the outside. I had no plans of making any changes to the gardens, but what was there was tamed into something resembling respectable.

Somehow, Walton had found three families who were willing to take tenancies. Each one had set to repairing their cottages. While it was too late for crops, animals were bought and set loose. It was an arrangement that suited us all. Come spring we would reevaluate the situation and make any changes necessary.

All in all, I was satisfied with my new home.

Several letters arrived from home. Father, as had predicted, was irate about my new estate and raged against how I had acquired it. Phillipa didn't even mention my estate amidst her laments about her long engagement. No letter came from George. One would have thought he would have gotten over his annoyance with me after so much time.

Mother's letter, on the other hand, was a comfort to read. She expressed curiosity about Pearsend and hoped it would not be too long before she could visit. She also hoped to meet Pennyworth as my description of him was 'fascinating'. Towards the end, however, was a brief paragraph that meant all the world to me.

"I received a letter from Mrs. Darkin yesterday. She and her niece requested I send you their greetings. Miss Darkin's siblings have recovered from their illness so she is finally able to have some time to herself."

Olivia Darkin. My heart skipped a beat. She hadn't forgotten me as I had not forgotten her. Somehow, I would have to find a way to meet her again to continue our acquaintance.

Above me, something crashed. I heaved a sigh. Until Pearsend was somewhat more stable, I wasn't going anywhere.

"Mr. Bywood!" Mrs. Wallace exclaimed. "Mr. Bywood come quickly! The armoire has fallen over and Missie is underneath it! She's not hurt but I cannot get her "

Would there be room in the household budget for a manservant? It was becoming tiresome to do the heavy lifting in the house. "Yes, Mrs. Wallace. I'm coming!" I said, standing up from my desk.