Chapter Four

Though he didn't look at all pleased about the situation, Ward walked alongside me two nights later. Carriages rattled their way past us in the street, going in both directions. The occupants inside no doubt had some dinner or party they were headed for just as we ourselves were doing.

"Mrs. Forester must be well off to have a house in this part of Bath," Ward said as we turned onto the street. Ahead of us, an unfamiliar couple disembarked from a carriage. It looked as though they were going into the house we were bound for. "I never would have guessed. The Foresters I met lived in a more modest manner."

"Everyone has their surprises. And, you must know, the status of one family member is not evidence of the status of the rest of the family."

He gave a short laugh. "Yes, I suppose that's true. You would know more than anyone else, wouldn't you."

We walked up to the front door, which opened in answer to our knock. A stiff-backed butler, who put me in mind of my family's butler, took our hats and canes, and a footman showed us where the guests were gathered before the meal. The room appeared filled, but not overly so.

"Mr. Bywood, Mr. Ward, I'm glad you could join us," James Forester said, coming forward to meet us. He shook our hands. Nothing about his behavior hinted he was less than happy to see Ward. Perhaps I had misjudged the situation? "Come, let me introduce you to everyone else."

We were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson and their daughter first. Then to a Colonel March, a pleasant older gentleman. The only other guest in the room was a Mr. Johnson. It appeared we were waiting for our hostess to come down.

In the meantime, I took the opportunity to study my fellow guests. Ward had moved to the other side of the room and was in conversation with Mr. Johnson. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were listening to some story that Col. March was telling. That left Mr. Forester and myself with the only young lady in the room.

Miss Grace Anderson had the appearance of a golden-haired, blue-eyed angel. Her expression was reserved, almost sad, though. "Have you been long in Bath, Miss Anderson?" I asked as my old friend didn't seem inclined to choose a topic.

"Yes, you could say that," she said with a slight smile. "I've lived here all my life, Mr. Bywood."

I gave a laugh and nodded. "Then, not long at all!" I said, in an effort to flatter her. I sipped my drink I had been given. "What do you recommend a newcomer to Bath do?"

She raised an eyebrow at me. "That's a peculiar question. Most take the waters at the Pump Rooms, there is the theater and the weekly concerts. Many take the opportunity to explore the countryside by walking or riding. There is something for everyone's taste, I am sure."

"Come now, Miss Anderson. That is what everyone else does. I look to you as a native of this area to tell me something that is not the common thing to do."

"I'm afraid I must disappoint you. I can give no recommendation beyond what I have already given."

It was times like this when I sorely missed Miss Olivia Darkin's company. She had wit and would have had something lively to say. Of course, not every young lady could be like Miss Darkin and it wasn't fair for me to make a comparison.

The door opened before I could work out a way to continue the conversation and two women entered. The younger lady had similar hair color and likeness as James Forester and I guessed she was his sister.

She left her grandmother's side and came to her brother. Her blue-eyed gaze was openly curious. "Sarah, may I present Mr. Lucas Bywood, a friend of mine from school," Forester said, politely. "Bywood, my youngest sister, Miss Sarah Forester."