Chapter Five

"And I thought I would be the unwanted guest in attendance. Whatever did you say to her, Bywood?"

Ward's comment over breakfast did nothing to improve my mood. "Mrs. Forester and I had a difference of opinion, nothing more," I said with a sigh. "I was not unwanted. Merely...disagreeable."

That word that I detested. How many times had I been described as disagreeable or disobliging? Reckless? Thoughtless? Did no one have a positive thing to say about me?
"Never disagree with a woman of Mrs. Forester's caliber, Bywood," Ward warned, pouring himself more tea. "They tend to make a concerted effort to ensure their opinion is known by all."

"If it is your intention to be helpful, you are doing an abominable job of it, Ward."

Chuckling, Ward leaned back in his chair. "Come now. This dark mood does not suit you, my friend. Tell me what you quarreled about and I will help you make amends. Charming older women is a specialty of mine."

"Somehow that doesn't surprise me. And it wasn't a quarrel." For a moment, as a battle with what to say, I poked at the eggs on my plate. "Mrs. Forester found my way of life objectionable."

"Ah. I see." If anything, my confession made Ward's levity vanish. "Did she indicate why she was so offended by you? Was there something specific? Some decision that can be easily remedied?"
Giving up on my appetite for the moment, I pushed my plate away. "If I had to guess, I would say she considered me a likely match for her granddaughter. When I did not live up to her expectations, she became annoyed with me."

Ward straightened up. "Her granddaughter? You mean Miss Sarah Forester?"
"As that is the only Miss Forester I have met, yes."
He muttered something I couldn't understand under his breath. His reaction confirmed my suspicion from the day before: he had an interest in the chit himself.

"She does seem to be a charming girl, but not one to hold my attention," I continued as casually as I could. "So, I would have drawn Mrs. Forester's ire anyway. I merely hurried it along in being so fickle and irresponsible with my life decisions."

Some of the tension slipped away as Ward relaxed his shoulders. "Why does it bother you so much what she thinks? If you have no interest in allying yourself with the family?"

Shrugging, I drummed my fingers on the tabletop. "Because I am not fickle or irresponsible. I have planned everything down to the smallest detail. Simply because how I choose to live my life is not as others would expect me to doesn't make it wrong. Why can I not do as I please with occasioning comment from everyone I meet?"

"Are you not doing as you please? You worry overmuch about what others think and say, Bywood."

It was not the first time anyone had given me that advice. "True. I expect I am overreacting due to Mrs. Forester making such a quick decision when she does not know me at all."

"I don't think I've ever seen Mr. Forester or Miss Sarah look so worried while they watched your conversation. Miss Sarah plucked the wrong string at least twice."
"And yet they did not come to my aid."

Ward shook his head. "They are no doubt all too aware of their grandmother's quirks and personality. If you were in their place, would have stepped in and drawn the displeasure of the one sponsoring your visit to Bath?"

Grimacing, I shook my head. "Did you make the acquaintance of Miss Anderson?" I asked. Her opinion had been much what my initial impression but how quickly my thoughts had changed!"She declared Mrs. Forester as being amusing and kind."

"Of course I met her," Ward said, raising his eyebrow. "She was a polite young lady, although a bit reserved for my taste. No doubt that is why she meets with Mrs. Forester's approval. You did not appear to enjoy being seated next to Miss Anderson for dinner."

"As you say, she is reserved. I could not find a single topic on which we could maintain any kind of conversation. I asked about interesting places to visit in Bath, she tells me only of the Pump Room, theater, and walking! No original suggestion to be had!"