Chapter Six

Unfortunately, I couldn't get Forester to say definitely whether Ward would be invited to the picnic with me or not. My friend was set against Ward and nothing I said would be able to change his mind on the subject. Strange for my friend had always been reasonable in the past. Perhaps he needed time to know Ward better.

Forester left me to return to his grandmother's side. I spotted Miss Anderson with her mother and approached to greet them. It was the polite thing to do, after all.

"Mr. Bywood!" Mrs. Anderson exclaimed with a smile. "What a pleasure it is to see you again today."

"The pleasure is all mine, ma'am," I said exaggerating my bow. "Surely neither you or your daughter are in need of the curative waters here."

"Everyone knows this is where one must find one's associates, whether one is ill or not," Mrs. Anderson said with a light laugh. She sent a glance at her daughter. "Grace, why don't you and Mr. Bywood take a turn about the room while I rest?"

Good heavens, another matching mama? However, as I saw the annoyance cross Miss Anderson's face, I couldn't help myself. "I would be delighted to take a turn with Miss Anderson. If she will do me the honor."

"I'm sure my daughter would be delighted," Mrs. Anderson said, ignoring the way her daughter pursed her lips. "Do go on. I shall sit and perhaps speak to a friend."

I held my arm out, but Miss Anderson simply began to walk. She was displeased to be paired with me, even for a short time. "You do not look pleased to see me, Miss Anderson," I said as I kept pace beside her. "I take this as a severe blow."

"My mother may be pleased with any young man, but I have higher standards," she said, her tone repressive. "Mrs. Forester was extremely put out with you, Mr. Bywood, and I believe her to be an excellent judge of character."

"Mrs. Forester was not pleased when I expressed no interest in her granddaughter. Her ire with me is understandable, of course, but you must know the context before you can cast judgment."

"And why not? Miss Forester is charming and lively. Any gentleman would be fortunate to win her affection."

Why was I not surprised she would take Mrs. Forester's side without bothering to hear mine? "I do not disagree. However, due to my attachment to someone else, I would not trifle with another lady's affections."

With a start, Miss Anderson glanced at me. "You have an attachment?"

"An unspoken one, but yes." The fact that it was unspoken at the request of Miss Dakrin was unimportant.

She breathed out, and her shoulders relaxed. "And this is the reason Mrs. Forester took you in dislike? Because you are unavailable?"

"Not precisely. She believes me to be fickle and irresponsible, but that is a minor detail," I said, waving my hand.

"Oh, very minor." A bit of the coldness had left her voice, replaced with sarcasm. "Of course Mrs. Forester would be offended with you over such small things. She is known for that."

"Why do I get the feeling you do not believe me, Miss Anderson?"

"Because you are flippant."

Of all the things I had been accused of in my life, 'flippant' was rather mild. And I'd also lost track of what we'd been arguing about. No, not exactly arguing, merely disagreeing over why Mrs. Forester had disliked me.

"True enough. However, that does not take away from the fact that I do not feel myself in a position to pursue any young lady, however charming, at this time," I said, getting back to the main point.

Miss Anderson shook her head. "You think a bit too much of yourself, Mr. Bywood. I do not think any young lady in her right mind would think you a good match."