Chapter 20. Mate?

Calvary came back just as Jen was finishing taking down the equipment. He looked a bit of a mess, covered in sweat, and wearing a pair of shorts and a shirt that didn't quite fit him right. The wound on his neck had mostly healed by now, but still left an angry red blotch on the side of his neck. His chest was heaving slightly as he fought to catch his breath, even so he still smiled at me brightly as usual.

"You're up," he exclaimed.

"You idiot," a girl growled as she pushed passed him, "I already told you that!"

I didn't know her, but I recognized her as the girl that was here when I had woken up, by her giant poof of frizzy black hair.

Calvary just ignored her as walked up to me, immediately taking hold of my hand. Almost instantly my wolf started purring happily in my head, his tail thumping noisily. I just rolled my eyes at him, he was so easy to please, though I couldn't entirely disagree with his sentiment. Calvary did make me feel safer, especially now that he's even stood up to his alpha for me.

"I'm sorry I left," he apologized.

"And," the woman promoted as she crossed her arms behind him. Calvary rolled his eyes, but continued, "and for fighting in front of you. I should have talked to alpha about it elsewhere."

"It's cool," I shrugged. I wasn't mad at him for the fight, or for more my panic attack. If anything I was more annoyed at myself for losing my cool in front of him like that. Such a dumb move.

"It is not cool," the woman spoke up from behind him, "don't let this idiot get away with shit like that."

"Let? I'm not his parent," I said, "he's a grown man, if he wants to fight he will. Nothing I can do about it, so why should I be upset?"

"No," Calvary said, "she's right. You shouldn't just brush this off like that. I caused you to have a panic attack, and your pregnant! That could have really hurt you."

"You didn't cause my panic attack," I rolled my eyes, "and you don't have to worry about it happening again. I've got it under control."

"If you had it under control you wouldn't have passed out," the girl muttered. I snarled at her, officially fed up with her. I didn't even know her name for God's sakes and here she was talking as if she knew me. I didn't think I'd find someone that was bitchier then Sydney, but I stood corrected.

"Tess," Calvary warned, turning to face her, probably sensing my growing anger towards her. She didn't seem to mind at all as she just grinned down at him and pinched his cheeks.

"Naw," she cooed, "my little Cal is so cute when he's being all protective."

My wolf's growl tore through my throat so fast, that even I was surprised. It was unusual for him show any aggression when our baby wasn't in immediate danger. I wondered what about Tess had him so pissed off? Sure she was being a little overly familiar, especially with Calvary, but so what? She's probably known Calvary longer then we have. It's only natural. Hell, it's possible the two could even be dating.

A sharp pang went off at the thought, but all my wolf did was growl louder. Weird. I brought my hand up to run my heart, wondering just what the hell was happening to me. Could this just be pregnancy hormones? That was the most likely option, but something told me that was wrong. Like a gut instinct.

"Maybe you should leave," Calvary told Tess, who had just been staring at me wide eyed.

"Yeah," she agreed, and with one more smirk sent my way she leaned down and smacked her gross lips to Calvary's cheek before skipping off. I had to dig my nails into the mattress to keep my wolf from pouncing her. Although part of me wanted to just let him at her. Goddess, she knew that would piss him off, and she still fucking did it. What a bitch.

"Sorry about her," Calvary said as he calmly brought my hand up to his soft lips and pecked it. The effect was almost scary. I'm not even a second my wolf had gone from undeniably hulk level angry, to wiggling on his back like a drunk turtle.

It was almost scary.

"Who is she," I asked.

"She's the Beta of this pack, and a good friend of mine," Calvary said, "try not to take her to seriously. She just likes messing with people."

So, she was Stephen's number two? I was beginning to suspect that Stephen had a type.

"Okay," I said, not wanting to dwell on her much longer. Given that I wasn't really planning on socializing with the Alpha more then necessary, I probably wouldn't run into her to often.  I felt a bit better about the alpha after our talk, but I still wasn't really comfortable with him.

"Though, I have to say, your reaction surprised me," Calvary said. I went red at his words and suddenly took great interest in the wall opposite to him. It really looked like it needed some touch ups, the white paint has was graying with dirt and age, and there were even some chips in it.

"Relax," Calvary chuckles, lightly cupping my cheek to turn me back to him, "it was cute."

"It was my wolf," I said feeling even more embarrassed, "not me."

"Uh huh, sure."

"It was," I insisted shocked that he didn't believe me.

"If you say so," he sang. I frowned even more, not sure how to convince him that it was my stupid wolf. What did I care if she had her grippy little fingers on his chiseled cheeks? She was his friend. Even if she was annoying, and bitchy, and he deserved a lot better...

Maybe, I was annoyed a little bit.

"Hey, Ty," Calvary asked, his joking voice gone along with his usual smile. What was this? Whatever it was, I didn't like it. This was almost as bad as Charlie crying.

"Who's the father?"

Oh. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting this to go there.

"No one important," I shrugged trying to make it seem like no big deal, even as my hand went to cover up the mark.

"Ty," he pushed, "I need to know."

"No you don't," I insisted, "trust me. It's not like you'll ever meet him anyway."

"And why not," Calvary gritted our. One look and it was clear he was holding his wolf back, as dark brown swirled into his honey iris's, and his muscles seemed to twitch angering under his skin.

"Cause the whole point of me leaving was to get my baby away from him," I shouted, "so you really don't need to know, cause as far as I'm concerned I'm this baby's only parent. Now will you fucking back off?! It's not like any of this is your business."

I watched as his face relaxed, only to harden again as I finished my little rant. His features grew sharper and his hair stretched out down to his eyes as his wolf pushed even closer to the surface.

"How is it not my business Mate," he questioned with a thick growl.

Normally I'd be terrified, but his last word distracted me from the horrifying image before me.

Mate? He just called me mate, didn't he? But I had a mate already, so just what did he mean by that?