Five

Author's Note:

Sabi ko, balang araw, itutuloy ko 'to. Maybe this is the best time, right? :) Tamang support lang sa MVP ng bayan at lodi ni Thomas Torres, ERUH GUHLUNG!!!

P.S. Kunwari si Kat lang ang kapatid ni Thomas dito :)

THOMAS

"Are you sure you're watching this with me, Kuya?", Kat asked for the nth time. Hello, Love, Goodbye is my sister's favorite movie at the moment that she watched it countless times in the cinema until its final showing day. Now she has a digital copy of the film and decided to spend her Friday night watching it all over again.

"Oo naman. Bakit hindi?", I answered and settled on the couch beside her.

"You know, parang there's something different about you.", she eyed me suspiciously.

"Ano?", I asked, hoping she won't figure it out. Otherwise, I would need to tell her why I'm doing this.

"You've been speaking in Tagalog since you came home yesterday. Tapos ngayon you'll watch a Tagalog movie with me? Tell me Kuya, anong meron ha?"

She asked in such a tone na wala rin akong takas. I let out a deep sigh.

"Fine. There's this girl..."

"OHMYGOSH!!", Kat shrieked.

"Wala pa nga akong sinasabi eh."

"What you said was enough to make me kilig! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I can't believe this!", she started hugging the throw pillow like her life depended on it.

"Katrina Ruth, ano ba yan?!", our mom shouted as she walked in the living room.

"Mommy! Guess what?!", Kat jumped off the couch and held Mom's arm. "May nililigawan si Kuya!"

Mom's eyes widened and she turned to me.

"Thomas, is this true?", she asked with a teasing smile on her face.

I scratched the back of my head and nodded.

"That's great news!", she exclaimed and sat beside me. Seconds later, I'm sandwiched between the two girls in my life.

"Bakit di mo pa siya pinapakilala sa amin, anak? Bring her here so that I can cook for her.", Mom said enthusiastically.

"Hindi niya po alam na nililigawan ko siya. Kahit sabihin ko, di niya tanggap.", I answered dejectedly.

"What? Why? You're a great guy kaya! And I'm not saying this because I'm your sister. Pero even my classmates have a crush on you.", Kat said.

"Ara's different. I mean, iba si Ara.", I responded.

"That's her name?", Mom asked and I nodded again.

"Our first meeting was... unforgettable. As in, Mom. Hindi siya mawala sa isip ko. But the thing is, ayaw niya sa akin. Kahit bilang kaibigan. Hindi ko maintindihan."

I had a hard time putting my thoughts to words let alone translating them to Tagalog.

"Quite a challenge. But I'm sure you'll win her, anak. Your dad will be proud. In love ang anak niya! He'll send help from heaven while Kat and I will do our best here to support you. I'll bake some pastries for you to bring to her. Sounds good?"

I hugged my mom tightly.

"Thanks Mom. You're the best!"

She tapped my face gently and left to go to the kitchen.

"Wait lang, Kuya. What does Tagalog have to do with winning Ate Ara? Siguro jirits siya sa conyo mo 'no?", Kat laughed.

"What's jirits?"

"Jirits. Irita. In English, annoyed.", she said as a matter-of-factly.

"Oh. Well, medyo. In her words, matuto daw muna akong magtagalog bago ko siya kausapin."

"Don't worry, Kuya. I can help you with that. Kung di mo naitatanong, 95 ang aking marka sa Filipino.", Kat said with hint of confidence in her voice.

"Really? Great! Wait, we're not watching the movie anymore?"

"Nope. I'd rather help with my brother's love story. And from now on, you're not allowed to speak in English until you're able to bring Ate Ara here. Nagkakaintindihan ba tayo, Kuya?"

My heart burst in gratitude for my mom and sister.

"Opo, binibini!", I answered, making Kat laugh.

"OMG, that was so trying hard! But we can fix that. Handa ka na ba, Thomas Christopher Torres?"

"Handang-handa na!"

Para kay Ara.

---

It's Saturday yet I got up early for my mission. My heart beat so fast as I knocked on the door of Mika and Ara's apartment, a box which held Mom's chocolate revel bars in my left hand.

Two minutes passed, and a yawning tall lady opened the door.

"Thomas? Aga mo naman yata."

"Magandang umaga, Ye. Nandyan ba si Ara?"

My words seemed to wake her up because she gave me a confused look. Kat and I stayed up late last night until I master my Tagalog enough to make full conversations. Looks like it worked.

"Ikaw ba talaga si Thomas o nananaginip pa rin ako?", she asked all of a sudden.

"Ako si Thomas, siyempre.", I answered, smiling. "Nasaan si Ara?"

"Di ba ako na-inform na Buwan ng Wika ngayon?", Mika voiced out, making me smile. My effort was surely making a difference.

"Nag-aaral ako ng Tagalog. Sakyan mo na lang.", I urged her.

"Ohh. Okay, gets. Wala si Ara. Siya ay umuwi sa Pampanga upang bisitahin ang kanyang mga magulang."

"Ano? Saan sa Pampanga?"

"Wag mong sabihing pupuntahan mo siya doon?"

"Pwede ko bang hingin ang kanyang eksaktong... location?", I gave up, making Mika chuckle.

"Lokasyon, Torres. Papasa yun. Sige, ibibigay ko sayo. Ang kapalit ay pasalubong."

"Makakaasa ka, Ye."

Mika's eyes widened before she stomped her foot to my surprise.

"Ay leche, iba na talaga! I'm so proud of you, Thom! Nakakaloka ang mga pagbabago sa mundo, dinadaig niyo ang climate change!"

She went inside and came back in an instant with a piece of paper. Written there was Ara's address.

"Salamat, Ye."

"Wag kang susuko, Thom ha?"

"Suko? Ano yun? Panalo lang ang alam ko."

I winked and walked off as Mika cheered behind me.

Ara, hintay lang. Parating na ako.