Six

Author's Note:

Alam niyo ba ang initial goal ko talaga when I started writing this story was to practice my English XD Pero wala, di ko rin kinaya, haha. Buti pa si Thomas, laban na laban sa Filipino, chour. Let's try again, shall we? :))

It's been months since the last time Ara visited her hometown. The place where she was born... where she grew up... where she first experienced heartbreak after another... where she chose to change her name, and eventually... her identity.

She opened her eyes and caught sight of the small clock on her bedside table. It was nearly 11 o'clock. But that's what Saturdays are for, right? Sleeping in late? Like her usual weekend routine, Ara would get up lazily and settle for bread so as not to lose her appetite for lunch. She was certain that her mother has prepared a sumptuous dish for her. One of the perks of being a college student away from home.

But today was different. Ara reached the dining area and caught sight of the last person she wanted to see.

"Anong ginagawa niyo dito?", she blurted out, hate evident in the way she spoke. Her mother suddenly came out from behind her and held her arm.

"Ara, anak..."

"Ma naman eh...", she cried in frustration.

"Anak, gusto ka ring makita ng Papa mo.", her mom tightened her grip, as if pleading Ara to stay. Ara slowly turned to her father and that's when she noticed that he's deveining some prawns.

"Anak, pasensya ka na.", his father said nervously. "Noong nalaman ko sa Mama mo na umuwi ka, nakiusap akong pumunta dito... para... para maipagluto ka ng paborito mo."

She wanted to cry. She wanted to shout. But neither happened. Ara spoke calmly, yet the pain couldn't be hidden from her words.

"Sana pala di na ako umuwi."

Then she ran and sped her way outside, ignoring the loud call of her parents.

--

Thomas stopped his car in front of a pink two-storey house, wondering whether he got the address right.

Just then, he saw the girl he's looking for come out of the front door. He immediately turned the engine off and got out to meet her at the gate.

"Ara!"

Ara was surprised to see Thomas standing in front of her, making her forget that she was running away.

"Teka. Wag mong sabihing hanggang dito sinundan mo ako? How did you even know my address?", she asked, still in high emotions.

"Ah. Pasensya ka na. Hiningi ko kay Mika. Ano... Uhm. Gusto ko lang sanang ibigay sayo 'to.", Thomas said nervously, reaching out his hands to give her the box of revel bars.

Ara couldn't believe it. Why would this guy go to great lengths just to become her friend? What's in it for him? Was it a dare? Did Thomas see her as a challenge? But Ara knew in her heart that the guy was sincere. And she felt sorry for him. She's broken from the inside. She felt lost. She wouldn't be able to reciprocate the attention he was giving her.

"Anak.", she heard her mother calling from the doorstep.

"Magandang umaga po-"

Ara cut Thomas by grabbing his hand and dragging him to his car. She got in the shotgun seat and waited for the guy to settle as well.

"Drive. Direcho lang.", she said firmly.