Chapter 5

Chapter 5

BANG, BANG, BANG!

The sound work me from my sleep. It was coming from the living room. My eyes slowly opened, and I sat up in my shitty make-shift bed on the bedroom floor. Right next to the super shitty actual bed I refused to sleep in.

Glancing up to the clock on my end table, I groaned. 6:10. Who the fuck was here and waking me up this early? Someone who wanted a good ass beating, that's who. I hated being woke up, especially like this, especially this early.

Stumbling up, I bolted towards the door. My annoyance won over my temptation to look remotely pleasant. I swung open the door in my long purple satin night-dress. I was surprised. Blake was standing there. He wore a white tee-shirt, khaki shorts, and a blank expression. What was he doing here? The sun was barely even out.

"What?!"

"Do you know what time it is?"

Blinking, still sleepy, I instinctively ran my hand through my knotty hair. "Yeah, it's way too fucking early for anything."

"Yeah? Was it too early for your last job too?"

I was tired, self-conscious, annoyed, and now confused. "What?"

"I told you to meet me at 6:00. Do you not remember that?"

Now, I was just tired, self-conscious, and annoyed. I stood up straight. "You meant 6:00 in the morning? Maybe you should have elaborated, dumbass," I growled, turning and shutting the door on him.

BANG, BANG, BANG!

"Christ, what?!" I exclaimed, throwing open the door again.

More tense, he crossed his arms. "Are you coming?"

"Let me get ready, okay? Fuck...." I shut the door, a little more nicely. Yes, I know, I'm too forgiving.

*One Hour Later*

A pink camisole hugged my body under the black button-up. It was short sleeved, allowing me to a few loose bracelets. I had on jean shorts and my favorite pair of black sneakers. Checking myself in the mirror, my eyes popped from the eye-shadow and mascara. As did more other prominent points on my face. I just bought new lipstick shade this past month. Since it was the beginning of June and summer was here, I went with a lighter pink – which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Heading outside, I walked across the street. Blake was loading up the bed of his red truck with tools and paint cans. I noticed there was already several wooden boards stacked in the truck bed. Jesus, what the hell was he going to have us do? I wasn't exactly one for physical labor. Especially outside. It was already warm out, which was not a good sign.

When I reached his driveway, he turned to me – at first, frustrated. But after giving me a once over, he looked amused. "One hour to get ready, huh?"

"I had to get ready, I'm sorry. I gotta do what I gotta do."

"Yeah? You gotta get all dolled up for a day of sweat and hard labor?"

"I just got ready for the day, that's all. I want to be kind of presentable." Sorry I don't want to be out in public looking like a fucking slob.

"Hey, if you want to dirty up nice clothes and jewelry, that's fine by me. As long as you are here and ready to work by 6:00 each day." He jutted a thumb behind him towards his truck. "Anyway, today, we will be tackling the porches of every house. I talked to all my tenants—"

"All three of them?" I teased.

"And they all are aware we will be working on their porches today. Some need a few boards replaced. Then we will repaint them."