Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Planting drugs to frame a man... it was not a good feeling. My guilt and especially my fear reached a new level (basically expert level at this point). If this worked and he goes to jail, I wasn't sure if I would be able to forgive myself. And if my plan didn't work... I would be so scared, I might have to run for the hills.

There were a few times I was tempted to go back into August's house and reverse it. I even considered just to telling Blake what I did. Hell, at this point, I would love to tell him everything. Hell, it was hard hiding things from him to begin with. Then, he revealed how much he trusted me (which I learned was difficult for him to do since his ex cheated). Knowing that made me feel worse and even more tempted. But damn, I just couldn't!

Unable to concentrate on painting, I decided I needed a break. Well, and more cigarettes. I just smoked my last one. With my stress, I've been running through my Pall Malls like crazy lately. So, after cleaning up a bit, I drove to closest store that had any – which was 20 minutes away and almost all the way back to the city.

On my way back home (and after power-smoking two cigarettes), I swung by the gas station to see Blake. It was kind of funny really; seeing him was just as effective as a cigarette. He lifted my stress and leveled any over-heightened emotions. Well, aside from desire and happiness. It didn't matter how upset or conflicted I was; the man was able to make me feel giddy every time.

Entering the humid gas station, I took in the sexy and scruffy man behind the counter. Blake was scanning a six pack of beer while chatting with the older gentleman buying it. When he saw me come in, a subtle smile reached his lips mid-conversation with him (to this day, I still found it weird how personal everyone was with each other around here).

After the man left, Blake caught my eyes. The black tee he wore showed off his arms when he extended them and rested his hands on the glass counter. "Good afternoon, ma'am, what can I get for you?"

"I don't know. It doesn't look like you have much," I said, approaching the 'stranger' behind the counter. "How about some air-conditioning in here?"

"Sorry, the manager doesn't allow air-conditioning."

"Really?"

"That's right."

"Well that's bullshit. Can I speak to this manager of yours?"

"Sure. One second." Gripping the counter as leverage, he dramatically spun in a circle, then casually rested an elbow against the counter. "Hello miss, one of my employees told me you wanted to speak with me?"

Unable to hold back a chuckle, I rested my arms on the counter across from him. Then, I spoke to the 'manager' I requested to see. "Yes sir, that 'employee' was being extremely rude. First, he told me I didn't deserve to have the air conditioning on in here."

"Wow, I see."

"He also was screaming, flipped me the bird, and even had the nerve to call me a prissy bitch...."

Sighing, he slowly nodded. "That sounds like something he might say to you."

"Oh excuse me?" I laughed.

He broke our little act and he laughed with me. Leaning into the counter like me, facing me full on, a sweet smile reached his lips. It was hard not eyeing the strands of his hair that dangled around his face. "So you decided to take a break from painting, huh?"

Resting my purse on the counter, I flashed my pack of Pall Malls. "Yes, but I also needed to go for a cigarette run. Which I had to buy. From a place that actually carried them. 20 minutes away," I teased since his gas station didn't carry my brand.