Chapter 39

Chapter 39

'Don't Fuck with Karma' was probably the most appropriate title for my life story at the moment. There was just so much happening, all because I fucked up in one way or another. But then, there were little bonus moments. Karma's humorous friend would come along and just shake salt over a burn.

That's what it felt like when I had my first unconventional weekend with Blake and both my kids. It was... like a dream. It was strange, different, but absolutely amazing! It was such a blast, but that was why it was torture. Being in love with a man I couldn't be with was difficult enough. Then, it was rubbed into my face just how wonderful – like really wonderful – he was with kids.

Sure, Garrett and Blake have had fun before, but this was different. Not only was Blake now spending full days with us, it was also his first time meeting Connor. Initially, it took a bit for my youngest to warm up to him. When we picked up the boys early Saturday morning, Connor was very cautious and looked unsure. I didn't blame him though; he was a shy boy and he never saw this new person to begin with. But a few hours later, he started to feel a little better. It certainly helped going to the zoo. You can't not have a good time at the zoo.

The zoo was about an hour and a half away – and completely worth the drive. It has been years since we've been to the huge attraction. The boys weren't the only one's excited, but it sure seemed like it. Since paying our admission and walking in, their excitement would not slow them down.

Unfortunately for them though, there was a strict rule to not wander far ahead. So, they had to wait for my slow ass. "Ugghhhhh! Hurry up, mom!" Garrett groaned, spinning around after he sped ahead with Connor.

"I'm not going to run every second, mister, I'm already walking fast." Even walking fast was asking for a lot considering I was wearing wedges today.

Walking beside me, Blake shook his head down in disapproval. "Who wears those shoes to the zoo?"

"Me, that's who," I chuckled. I knew I shouldn't have, but what did they expect? It's not like I was gonna wear tennis shoes with this skirt.

"You'll regret it after an hour. You're feet are going to kill you."

"Yeah, I know, and guess what? I will endure the pain like a champ," I said proudly, making him chuckle. "Those are the kind of sacrifices I have to make, you know?"

Once we caught up to the boys, they darted over to the next fenced area, surrounded by a couple people already. It was the enclosure for the wolves. Which Garrett was super pumped about. Moving next to a few people, leaning against the railing, he strained to see them through the glass. "Do you guys see them?" he asked anxiously back to us.

I couldn't see any wolves yet, then again, the enclosure through the glass was huge. Blake did though; he moved forward, leaned down next to Garrett, and pointed straight back. "There's one."

Garrett started jumping. "He's pacing in the back! Mom, do you see?!"

Standing a few feet back with Connor, I squinted and narrowed my gaze. Finally, I managed seeing the tall gray wolf clearly. The tall animal was pacing the back perimeter behind the woodsy area. "Sure do!" I glanced down to Connor at my side with a smile. "See him, bud? Walking along the back wall like that?"

Staring ahead... he shook his head, still was unable to see. Pulling him a few feet to the side and crouching down next to him, I pointed in front of his vision. "Can you see now?"

"Oh yeah," he said, bright blue eyes widening at the pacing wolf.

Straightening back up, I tried hiding a smirk. "Notice how he is pacing along the back wall? That means he's going to try to escape."