Chapter 13

The following week I found out was a Parents Weekend. They were both really interested in meeting everyone including Coach Butler. It was needless to say I was scared out of my mind. After having walked them around see where I ate and attending my classes where the professors gave a lesson synopsis of their class, we went to the pool. The finals were now in a matter of weeks where now we were all practicing almost every day.

My parents sat in the stands watching as we all practiced. I made a turn in the water seeing Rob approach the stands. He extended his hand seeing my father shaking it introducing himself. He blew his whistle announcing a 10 minute break. I dried myself off a bit before walking over seeing my parents both in conversation with Rob.

"The coach says you have been one of the best swimmers he has seen on the team," my father said.

"He's been doing an amazing job," he answered, looking at me and nodding.

Inside I feel my stomach doing flip flops feeling nervous as hell.

"......Thank you," I said.

I stood there silent between the three of them not sure of what else to say.

"Well I gotta get back in the pool," I said, waving my arm back.

"Yeah," Dan said, looking down at his watch. "There is still another hour of practice left before you can call it quits for today."

"Will leave you to it then," my father said, walking away.

"We're so proud of you," my Mom said, giving me a hug.

As soon as they left the coach and I gave each other a look where I was pensive but he looked relaxed like everything was okay and that there was nothing to worry about. After another hour of practice rinsing off the chlorine in the showers I was one the last ones to leave when Rob stopped me right outside of the locker room. I looked around seeing no one else was in the vicinity.  

"You know how much of a risk you took?" I exclaimed. "You know I haven't told my parents yet?"

"Ryan, Ryan," he said smiling, lifting his hand up. "It's okay. I just wanted to meet your parents."

"Oh."

I let out a sigh of relief resting my hand against my chest.

"You are completely safe."

"I am just now wondering where do we stand."

"I know," he said, nodding. "I've had the same thoughts. But I have to concentrate on the rest of the season and you have need to have a bigger jumping off point."

"Hey, I thought they've been pretty good," I said smiling.

"Yeah, but they could be better."

He swung his fist giving me a playful punch in the arm. As the season was going to coming to a close I knew that things would likely be changing and was afraid that there would be some hard choices that laid before me.