Chapter 1 (Revised)

You bolted as fast as you could through the thick forest. Leaves crunching beneath your feet, sweat dripping down your face. You breathed heavily, the exhaustion from running finally catching up to you. You couldn't stop now, you had to get out of here before he caught you. You tried to concentrate on the forest floor, watching for exposed roots or thickets that could trip you. You looked up for just a moment, barely seeing the branch sticking out just at the height of your head. You ran into it head on, smacking your forehead onto the thick extremity of the tall, oak tree.

You immediately fell to the ground, and tried your hardest to collect yourself. You were exhausted from running, your heart pounding inside your chest. Your mouth was painfully dry, and your legs ached. Sweat poured from your face, and you squeezed your eyes shut, using every ounce of your strength to try and sit up. You felt something push you back down to the ground harshly, and looked up to see the masked figure you were running from. Your (e/c) eyes shot open, you opened your mouth to scream, but nothing came out. You sat there, covered in sweat, mouth ajar, staring up at the tall, masked, murderer before you.
He was known in your community as just "Masky" ; he was an urban legend, a campfire story told by the residents of your small town. A sadistic masked murderer known for torturing his victims in the most brutal ways possible. Your frantic thoughts were interrupted, as he knelt down, pressing a handgun against your forehead.

He chuckled, his voice was deep and husky. "Thank you for not screaming, it makes his whole process so much easier." He turned the safety off on his gun; you had to think of something quickly.

"W-Wait! Please don't kill me!" You felt tears start to well up in your eyes, you heard once that usually you had three minutes to convince someone not to kill you by making them feel bad for you.
Masky paused and got closer, twisting his foot on your abdomen. He snickered and pressed the handgun harder onto your forehead.

"Puppy dog eyes don't work on me sunshine, give me one valid reason and maybe I'll half consider your offer; I'm feeling like a Good Samaritan today."

That was your opening, just what you needed.

"Look, I'm very useful! I-I can cook, I can clean, I know how to tend to wounds! I could be an asset to you!" You flashed him a big, toothy smile. But you were so utterly terrified it just looked like you were showing him your teeth. Masky sat there for a moment, seemingly processing what you just said to him. However he didn't seem entirely convinced.

"I'll do whatever you want! No questions!" You clasped your hands together, staring into the eyes of his mask, a fake smile plastered across your sweaty face. He lifted the handgun away from your forehead.

"Hmmm~ Anything?" You nodded furiously.

"No questions?" You nodded even more furiously, strands of your (h/c) hair sticking to your sweaty face. Masky laughed, and moved his foot off your chest. He pulled you roughly off the ground and stuffed his gun back into his back pocket. He gripped onto your forearm tightly and looked at you dead on.

"I don't know whether you're naive, or just plain stupid." He poked your forehead hard, leaving a small red mark.
"You're in for a hell of a ride sunshine, don't say I didn't warn you."

He pulled you along, deeper and deeper into the forest of which you were just trying to escape. You thought about what Masky just said, hoping maybe it wouldn't be as bad as he was implying.

"What have I got myself into, I've either saved my life or just prolonged the ending..."  You glanced at the masked man, drinking in any information you could process. He wasn't much taller than you now that you were both standing, He looked to be about 5'8. He had dark, shaggy, brown hair. You looked to see he had attempted to keep it short in the back, but the top was starting to get shaggy, as locs of his hair spilled over his white mask.
He wore a worn yellow jacket, and just a pair of plain black jeans and black running shoes.

"I can feel you staring at me." You jumped, and set your attention back onto the forest floor.

"What, are you curious? Because I can tell you right now that I'm not the type of person you want to be involved with." He turned his head to look at you, and you tried not to look at him. His very presence was chilling, and his hands were ice cold, almost like he was dead.

"What, cat got your tongue? You sure had a lot to say a few minutes ago when you were begging for your life." He was antagonizing you, testing you. Trying to get a rise out of you. You decided not to give a reaction, thinking it would make things worse.

"No I was just-" he slapped a hand over your mouth.

"I never said I wanted you to talk, it was rhetorical." Alright, serial killer or not you were finding this guy to be quite the intolerable ass, maybe death was a better option then spending the foreseeable future with this moron. You pulled his hand away and sulked.

"This isn't 1830, if I want to speak I will." You hissed. Masky stopped dead in his tracks, turning to look at you.

"Well aren't we feisty huh sunshine?" Masky grabbed you and shoved you against a tree, pulling his gun from his back pocket and holding it to your forehead, placing his other hand on the tree, trapping you.

"I'm the one who's leading you back to my home, sparing your life out of the kindness of my heart." You avoided his gaze, trying not to show him the blatant fear in your eyes. He grabbed your chin with your free hand and forced you to look at him.

"Look at me when I talk to you." His voice was cold and harsh. You felt more sweat beginning to form on your face.
"Now tell me, do you want to live or don't you?" He tapped your forehead with his handgun, awaiting your answer. You gulped, and looked him dead in the eyes.

"I do." Masky leaned in closer, pulling your face inches away from his mask.
"I'm sorry, that doesn't sound like someone who wants to live, make it more sincere for me."

You signed, taking a moment to swallow your pride. It wounded you internally to have to grovel on your metaphorical hands and knees to this jackass, but I guess this is what it was going to take to get out of here unscathed. All in the name of survival.

"I'm deeply sorry, I want to live, thank you for giving me this opportunity sir." He seemed to be pleased with your answer.

"Good girl." He said mockingly. He grabbed onto your arm, pulling you along once more.

"Call me sir more often, won't you?"